How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2018, 06:18 AM

Default Pro Tools is saving every take that I record

Bare with me here..

I've only just realised that ProTools is saving every take that I record and delete to my hard drive. Took me ages to work out why I was losing so much space

Just wondered if there was a way to stop it from doing that and if there was an easy way to delete those files that were deleted from the project? Or is it just a case of going through each one and working out which is which?

Cheers everyone!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 AM

Default Re: This may sound like a stupid question..

I believe it saves it to a folder of back up takes or audio clips. Just move that folder to where you want... that might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 06:43 AM

There is a option under the option menu to change the record mode. If destructive record is set it will not save the take before it will overwrite it. If it is not destructive, it will lay the new track over the first and then name it with like -01, 02 and so so on.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 01-13-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyP89 View Post
Bare with me here..

I've only just realised that ProTools is saving every take that I record and delete to my hard drive. Took me ages to work out why I was losing so much space

Just wondered if there was a way to stop it from doing that and if there was an easy way to delete those files that were deleted from the project? Or is it just a case of going through each one and working out which is which?

Cheers everyone!
might be time to read in the manual about deleting Unused Clips from the Clip List .. this will let you clean up your session after recording .. be careful, go slow wehn doing this so you do not lose something you do not wish to ..

Destructive Record is like a Tape Machine !!! i use it all the time .. but be careful just like tape it will erase what is there and replace it with wahat you are recording at that time .. really keeps a session Clean Though ..

you can cycle through the different Record Modes using the Control Key on a MAC ... Destructive will put a small "D" in the RED Record indicator ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-13-2018, 08:00 AM

Perfect Thanks a lot for the help guys, much appreciated!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:28 AM

And by the way, a 6TB USB3 drive is $129. I don't sweat a few files that I may even be glad I have. If you want to clear the unused files later, that takes about 30 seconds.

Steve
Old 01-13-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
And by the way, a 6TB USB3 drive is $129. I don't sweat a few files that I may even be glad I have. If you want to clear the unused files later, that takes about 30 seconds.

Steve
+ 1
Old 01-15-2018, 12:00 PM

Undo. You want ProTools to record every take. If you don't like a take then undo it which will delete the recording as if it never happened. If you record over it the previous take is not undone, it's recorded over only in the track space of the edit window.

If you want to keep part of a take then use playlists so you can comp together the best parts of multiple takes. I do this a lot. I will often record several passes of a given part in new playlists then use the playlist view on that track with a blank top playlist. Then you can easily highlight a good section then click the up arrow in the selected lane and it will copy the selection to the top most playlist.

Otherwise you can record one phrase or section at a time and build the part by piecemeal which may prove more time consuming. I have worked this way too. But I find that doing multiple takes across playlists moves a little faster when recording. Especially if the player is well prepared.