Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-16-2018, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Best way to convert Sound Designer II files to wav?

Agreed.

The situation with trying to find and run an old system to convert old Sessions with SDII files is an unnecessary pain.

Surely, it wouldn't take much to reinstate the code to convert these SDII files to WAV in PT12?

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 01-16-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Yeah, it seems to me that they should provide some means for a guy who has been with Pro Tools since before it was even Pro Tools [early Soundesigner for Akai S900 :)].

I am annoyed that I was told that the old sessions would open "no problem". That's why I pulled the trigger on Pro Tools Native rather than another interface which I was just going to use with Logic. No big deal, I like Pro Tools, so hopefully I can make all this work somehow.

Actually, even if I can get a copy of PT10, I'll still have to beg, borrow, or steal a copy of an older Mac OS that it will run on, and then buy a hard rive to install it all on. Oh, boy. The fun never ends.

MD
FWIW - Logic wouldn't read your SDII files either. Also, being technical and nit-picky, but I am pretty sure your actual sessions do open fine, it's just the audio files within the sessions themselves that are having issues.

I had a ton of old audio files in my Sound Effects Library that were all SDII. i recently had to convert them, and it was going to be no small task, with over 2 TB of audio files! I used a program called Barbabatch. it converted the SDII to wav for me, and even kept my folder hierarchy, so I didn't have to reorganize all of my audio files after they had been converted. I would imagine that you could probably run this batch conversion, keeping all of your folder structures and everything. Then when you open those older sessions, you would have to relink the audio files to the newly created converted ones.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglesworth View Post
FWIW - Logic wouldn't read your SDII files either. Also, being technical and nit-picky, but I am pretty sure your actual sessions do open fine, it's just the audio files within the sessions themselves that are having issues.

I had a ton of old audio files in my Sound Effects Library that were all SDII. i recently had to convert them, and it was going to be no small task, with over 2 TB of audio files! I used a program called Barbabatch. it converted the SDII to wav for me, and even kept my folder hierarchy, so I didn't have to reorganize all of my audio files after they had been converted. I would imagine that you could probably run this batch conversion, keeping all of your folder structures and everything. Then when you open those older sessions, you would have to relink the audio files to the newly created converted ones.
hi, what is your thought on the Unique ID that pro tools uses to relink files .. i cannot remember that far back as to whether SD2 files has this or if you do NOT have this will newer versions of pro tools see the files are they have been converted ????

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-16-2018, 06:45 PM

Default Best way to convert Sound Designer II files to wav?

I once tried this and found that you couldn't force the relink because the file types were different. The session has to be saved with file type .aif or .wav to be able to relink aif or wav files. So sessions saved with file type SDII can't be forced to relink aif or wav.

I haven't tested this, but you may be able to save copy in with a different file type and then follow this method I published a few years ago.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MtcWiABzpYM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-17-2018, 12:10 AM

Hi all,

I seem to remember hearing about a utility that AVID had come up with [I am not sure if it is free or something they sell] that will convert the sessions. Anybody know anything about that?

Also, would John or anyone who knows explain to me exactly what the difference would be between using PT10 to do the conversion, or an older version such as PT7.3?

I tried using the "Save In" option in PT12.8.3 to convert a session that had AIFF audio [which 12.8.3 would read] to a session with BWF, and it worked. What is different about using PT10? Does it just convert the audio as it opens the session or something?

By the way, for Inglesworth, Logic actually will read SDII files.

Thanks for the help.

MD

Last edited by mightyduck; 01-17-2018 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:18 PM

Hi,

I’m bumping this, not to be annoying, just to make sure I know and understand this before I get a hold of Avid.

What would be the difference, if any, between using PT 10 or PT 7.3 to convert the SDII session?

Thanks,

MD

Last edited by mightyduck; 01-18-2018 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:17 AM

Hi,

I’m bumping this, not to be annoying, but just to make sure I know and understand this before I get in touch with Avid.

What would be the difference, if any, between using PT 10 or PT 7.3 to convert the SDII session?

Thanks,

MD
Old 01-18-2018, 02:28 AM

Do some searches on the site https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ra...e:duc.avid.com

Also here https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...signer-2-files

This might be the software http://www.railjonrogut.com/sdTwoWav.htm

Stephen

Old 01-18-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post

Hi,

Thanks. I know Rail from L.A., but I think the software you are referencing is for Windows, and it also is not going to place the new files properly in the session.
You have to do it in ProTools if you have a bunch of overdubs that are all individual little audio clips placed at various places along the timeline.

MD
Old 02-06-2018, 04:59 AM

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...signer-2-files

Stephen