Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 04-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Avid

Default Re: "Speed" of rotary knobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoerik roevens View Post
first impressions are good, but no fine control? or am I missing something?
Fine control is the Command key (or Win in Windows)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Fine control is the Command key (or Win in Windows)
That doesn't work here, also none of the modifiers on the S3 allow fine control. E.g. in Eq3, the smallest steps I can get in the mid range without modifier are 0.6-1.2 Hz, which is a little bit smaller than the D-command coarse control. However on the D-command ALT allows steps of 0.1 - 0.2 Hz. None of the modifiers on either s3 or keyboard make any difference here.

Anyway, thanks for the ballistics. So far so good here.

BTW: knob 19 is still broken in the eq3 (MF freq/MF q). It still doesn't update the display when toggling between freq and q. Also that knob is still very jumpy (maybe even more than before), especially when turning it down. It's quite a challenge to avoid jumps of 30-40 Hz every couple of minor steps you try to make. Supposedly this affects the Artist Series as well, as it did before.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Avid

Quote:
That doesn't work here, also none of the modifiers on the S3 allow fine control. E.g. in Eq3, the smallest steps I can get in the mid range without modifier are 0.6-1.2 Hz, which is a little bit smaller than the D-command coarse control. However on the D-command ALT allows steps of 0.1 - 0.2 Hz. None of the modifiers on either s3 or keyboard make any difference here..
I see what's happening, Command just removes the knob acceleration so its easier to hit a value. There is no fine mode. I'll look into it....

Quote:
BTW: knob 19 is still broken in the eq3 (MF freq/MF q). It still doesn't update the display when toggling between freq and q..
You are right :-/ I can get that fixed. If you hit Sel and then the knob top it does switch !
Quote:
Also that knob is still very jumpy (maybe even more than before), especially when turning it down. It's quite a challenge to avoid jumps of 30-40 Hz every couple of minor steps you try to make. Supposedly this affects the Artist Series as well, as it did before.
Sounds like a bad encoder ?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I see what's happening, Command just removes the knob acceleration so its easier to hit a value. There is no fine mode. I'll look into it....
ok thanks!

Quote:
You are right :-/ I can get that fixed. If you hit Sel and then the knob top it does switch !

Sounds like a bad encoder ?
I doubt it's the encoder, it works perfectly fine with other plugins, e.g. Waves SSL eq. It seems to me those 2 issues are related to each other. Unfortunately I have only 1 S3 and no Artist series at my disposal to test at the moment.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Avid

Quote:
That doesn't work here, also none of the modifiers on the S3 allow fine control. E.g. in Eq3, the smallest steps I can get in the mid range without modifier are 0.6-1.2 Hz, which is a little bit smaller than the D-command coarse control. However on the D-command ALT allows steps of 0.1 - 0.2 Hz. None of the modifiers on either s3 or keyboard make any difference here.
I did some testing on Icon, S6 and S3, maybe I'm doing something wrong but I didn't see what you are seeing, here are my findings.

In EUCON both on S3 and S6 the knobs are always in fine mode, in fact they are much finer than the ICON is in fine mode.
The modifier just slows the control down in EUCON to make it easier to hit each value (although I couldn't get it to work on the S3 on Windows, which I'll look into)

EG. EQ3

LMF - Icon went from 379.1 to 395.5 in course and 379.1 to 382.4 in fine. S6/3 went from 379.2 to 379.8 in both.
MF - Icon in fine mode went from 593.4 to 599.0, S6/3 from 591.0 to 592.2
Old 05-12-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
I did some testing on Icon, S6 and S3, maybe I'm doing something wrong but I didn't see what you are seeing, here are my findings.

In EUCON both on S3 and S6 the knobs are always in fine mode, in fact they are much finer than the ICON is in fine mode.
The modifier just slows the control down in EUCON to make it easier to hit each value (although I couldn't get it to work on the S3 on Windows, which I'll look into)

EG. EQ3

LMF - Icon went from 379.1 to 395.5 in course and 379.1 to 382.4 in fine. S6/3 went from 379.2 to 379.8 in both.
MF - Icon in fine mode went from 593.4 to 599.0, S6/3 from 591.0 to 592.2
You're absolutely right. I was a bit quick on my judgement. I got the hang of it by now and it works great, very easy to quickly and precisely hit the right spots. So imo, this is a great update indeed. Seems like you guys are on the right track and I'm getting some good hopes this thing is seriously in development at last. Next steps that would save us mixers a couple of hours and plenty of eye strain every day, would be decent visual feedback (mainly on auto modes), a correct and normal way to switch auto modes using softkeys and working 'edit/mix window follows banking`functionality, also/mainly in VCA spill mode imo.

Anyway, thanks for the quick and detailed feedback and this major upgrade!
Old 05-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Avid

Yes the (sorely lacking)automation feedback is the next thing I want to improve !
Old 05-15-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Yes the (sorely lacking)automation feedback is the next thing I want to improve !
I'm gonna nominate you for the Time Magazine Person of the Year 2017 Award!