Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2004, 10:28 AM

Default using spdif with mbox

When I try to go in or out of my mbox I get nothing but static. I know to set the hardware to spdif & the clock to spdif as well. I also know how to set input & outputs tp spdif. I can see the input levels bouncing in the pro tools mixer but the static is much louder than the signal. The Tech at Sweetwater thought it was a bad mbox & sent me a new one. It acts exactly the same. I read about optical & rca spdif but I can find no such setting in the LE mbox software. Which does the mbox operate on. I have tried the connection with my tascam DM 24, my alesis masterlink, and prosonus digitube pre amp. All the same static. I was also careful to set the sampling rate & wordlink the same in the mbox as what I'm sending it. As far as cables go, I've ordered spdif cables from sweetwater but they have not came in yet. I do have one hosa digital transfer double shield coaxial cable that I bought a couple of years ago & was told it was a certified spdif cable. Same static with this cable as with others in studio. Could the mbox be more sensitive to the spdif signal than other boxes. I can use the same cables that I'm trying to get to work with the mbox on other spdic connections in the studio & they all pass spdif perfectly. The other gear that the cables work fine with is a tascam DM24, tascam mx2424, lexicoon reverb etc. Somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

Wrangler
Old 01-06-2004, 10:57 AM

Default Re: using spdif with mbox

I have the same problem with static when using a quarter inch out to my guitar, i read a few posts on here and it seems that a lot of people have the static issue. i read that you need to hook the mbox to its own USB card due to the amount of power it uses (i had a printer, a camera, and an external HD all hooked up to the same USB card as the mbox). i ordered a usb card just for the mbox and will receive it soon, but to test it, i unplugged all the other usb cords from the card that came with my Dell and started up the mbox and it worked. just a suggestion for you to look into.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:13 PM

Anybody else?
Old 01-06-2004, 01:29 PM

i have the same problem with my 002 rack. i try running a line level signal into my vtp-1 than out of the vtp-1's spdif and into my 002r's spdif input and all i get is static.