Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 11-14-2006, 06:52 AM

Default Strike: Drag and Drop Clarification

I have Strike running well on my system and it's great and 'deep'.

One area I'm trying to get to grips with is the MIDI drag and drop feature. I can do this OK as per the instructions but the resulting tracks rarely go the length of the song and they start in odd places.

A few times, before I realised my mistake, I was running the track and triggering the various patterns as they were coming up in the song, which I felt was the intuitive thing to do. Then I read that you shouldn't have the song playing while you work on the song structure within Strike. That makes it a lot harder to know where you are in the song.

Out of habit I have most of my songs start a couple of bars in, this is from the days when I used to sync to timecode and it took a couple of bars for the thing to settle down. When dragging the Strike 'song' to the Edit timeline it never seems to 'drop' at the right point in the song.

It would be great to have similar funtionality to Stylus RMX where a pattern can be 'dragged and dropped' anywhere in the timeline.

John
Old 11-22-2006, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Strike: Drag and Drop Clarification

Have you figured this out yet, Q? Because I am having the same problem. I read a somewhat helpful "tips" section in the newest Digizine online on how to archive a strike performance as an audio file- and I'm going to try that so I can move the (audio file) performance as necessary. I can't figure out how to drag and drop section by section either. I think I must be overlooking something obvious. When I drag and drop an intro, then a verse- they end up at the beginning of the Edit window, and I can't seem to move them. I looked for a "clipboard" in the Stike Edit window to try to compose the drumtrack there (which the manual says to do) but I can't make anything happen.
If you have it down- I would be grateful for an explanation.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:35 AM

No. I'm not convinced it's working correctly.

Maybe Wolfram can chime in here.

John
Old 11-25-2006, 06:28 PM

Hey John-
I can perform a 4 measure verse and drag and drop it to the timeline per the instructions. Then I can drag and drop another verse, chorus, whatever- in front of that as it appears in the edit window and essentially build a whole song that way. Dragging and dropping each section in sequence is fickle, though; if Strike isn't situated at the far right of the screen, for me at least, a drum or two may be missing. Deleting that last performance with the edit function, then redoing that measure seems to be the easiest way to correct this. In order to start after a few measures, I dragged a 4 or 8 measure performance to the Edit window, then performed the first actual drum part for the song, then erased the 4 or 8 measures that I dragged there first using the "clear" function in the Edit drop down window, and that worked fine. That gives me time to hit record and compose myself for playing a guitar part. I was also able to use a click track in a separate audio track from the AudioSuite menu, because Strike falls on the same tempo map by default.
I hope this helps you. I may not be using the most logical approach, however, because I'm brand new at this. I couldn't use Strike at all at first, so at least I can this way- as slow as it may seem. I'm hoping that once I establish each verse, bridge, etc on the edit window that I'll be able to highlight each section and duplicate it to speed things along.
But yeah, if Wolfram has the answer I would be thankful for any advice.

matt
Old 11-25-2006, 09:00 PM

HI Guys,

I'm new here--sounds like you use Strike? I'm trying to figure out how to use the drag and drop feature. It states that an "Input Midi" screen will come up and that the appropriate midi channels will be automatically created. When I drag and drop all that happens is that a section of the "bridge" plays...even if I've only recorded from the "verse" section. I use a Mac OSx and Protools 7. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Taylor
Old 11-27-2006, 09:12 AM
AIR Music Technology

Hi everybody,

the Export MIDI function positions the exported MIDI notes always at the first beat of the first bar of the Pro Tools timeline. If your song starts somewhere else in the timeline, you have to manually mark and move the exported MIDI notes to the right position.
This behavior is as intended and - at present - the only solution because Strike has to create multiple MIDI tracks to rebuild the drum performance with all its complex nuances.

Maybe this hint is useful for you:
Once the multiple MIDI tracks have been created, you can drag and drop to the first of the MIDI tracks in the Edit window and place the exported notes to the desired position.

Regards,

Wolfram K
Old 11-27-2006, 09:26 AM
AIR Music Technology

Hi taylor714ce,

reading your error description, I can only guess that you drag to the wrong section in Pro Tools.
To correctly export the last played Strike performance, you have to click the Export MIDI button, and drag to the timeline in the Pro Tools Edit window. (The cursor symbol will show a "+" when you're in the right place.)

Best regards,

Wolfram K
Old 11-28-2006, 06:29 AM

Wolfram,
HELP.....I am still struggling with Strike's DRAG and DROP instructions. I am following the instruction in the manual by the letter and still screwing this up . When I drag and drop, I never get the intended midi data on the tracks. The tracks do form but different beats than I wanted. What must I do to ensure I get the right midi information into the tracks? Must I play the beats in strike before exporting to Pro Tools? Anything info you can provide would be extremely helpful.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:21 AM
AIR Music Technology

Quote:
Must I play the beats in strike before exporting to Pro Tools?
Yes, play the desired sequence of Patterns, stop playback with the red stop key, click the MIDI Export button, and drag to the PT timeline where you release the mouse button.

Regards,

Wolfram K
Old 12-03-2006, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the explanation Wolfram. Particularly the info about Strike inserting MIDI at bar one.

Can I ask why it is necessary to not have the track playing whilst building up a drum part? I find the most intuitive way of building the part is to play along with the song. If you do this while the song is stopped it's really dificult to know where you are or am I not understanding something here.

Regards,

John