Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-16-2005, 08:52 PM

Default iLok: I think I been converted.

I feel like a weight has been lifted off of me. I've seen the little green light.

I have never had a problem with my iLok.
I enjoy seeing my assets on my account.
I like the convenience of having assets transfered to my account.
I have not spent one dime on any of those services.
ZDT would be better than FedEx Red label and down time.

What is all the complaining about? I've had issues with gear and down time. It is a part of the life of business dependent upon technology. You deal with it. iLok has actually made things very easy for me. I had a Magma CB4 quit on me. I was down for a week.
Overnight shipping to Magma cost me $90. It was the switch. The stinkin' switch! I could not wait and bought a G5. I launched PT and my iLok sent me online for drivers. Easy! it was too easy. I didn't have to re-authorize all my plug-ins and contact each one for new C/R and prove my Magma situation. iLok was the easiest hassle free link in the upgrade.

Cheers
Rob Mackinnon
Old 02-17-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: iLok: I think I been converted.

I would agree unless you LOSE or break your iLok. Then you're up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Especially if you have your WAVES account on that iLok. WAVES makes you buy a separate iLok for them and will not particicapte with PACE in thier iLok.com authorization network. Waves was down for 4 weeks while PACE and WAVES duked it out over propper procedure when my iLok got fried in an unfortunate USB power surge incident. AND BOTH THE iLok AND WAVES WERE UNDER WARRANTY ! ! !

The only additional advise I would give is to make sure you are up to date with iLok.com's Zero Downtime and WAVES Update Plan.

Eric

Eric Heil
Angelic Productions, LLC
More Pro Tools rigs than I can shake a stick at...
www.AngelicLive.com
FaceBook Me!
Old 02-17-2005, 03:21 AM

Quote:
unless you LOSE or break your iLok
two words: "stupidity insurance"
Old 02-17-2005, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I would agree unless you LOSE or break your iLok.
I walked into my local Apple store last week and told them I lost my PowerBook laptop, they gave me a new one on the spot, awesome !! ........................

After that I walked into Best Buy, showed them my Camcorder that I broke by backing my car over it, again a free Camcorder was mine, overall a great day
Old 02-17-2005, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I walked into my local Apple store last week and told them I lost my PowerBook laptop, they gave me a new one on the spot, awesome !! ........................

After that I walked into Best Buy, showed them my Camcorder that I broke by backing my car over it, again a free Camcorder was mine, overall a great day
You've got the analogy completely wrong. The iLok is only the key that allows you to use the asset, not the intellectual property asset itself. It would be as if losing the key to your expensive BMW would make your BMW completely inaccessible with no hope of ever being able to use it again.

Lee Blaske
Old 02-17-2005, 09:09 AM

Just trying to have some fun, come on. If you know that you have $10,000.00 worth of plug-ins on that iLok you insure it, simple as that. The BIG problem I have is that I DO have everything insured but how will this work......

I have to submit invoices of purchased items to my insurance agent and that is what the item is insured for, Now if my iLok gets stolen, I was insured for a Massive Pack. Will Digidesign give me all those assets for the $1195 ? The biggest problem I see is with free giveaways with purchase. My iLok gets stolen but not my HD cards does Digi replace the $8650 worth of free plug-ins you got with your system, Do I file with my insurance and say the plug-ins were worth $8650 but my HD Core and Accel Cards are worth less than $2000 ? I would be interested in a response from Digidesign on that.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Just trying to have some fun, come on. If you know that you have $10,000.00 worth of plug-ins on that iLok you insure it, simple as that. The BIG problem I have is that I DO have everything insured but how will this work......

I have to submit invoices of purchased items to my insurance agent and that is what the item is insured for, Now if my iLok gets stolen, I was insured for a Massive Pack. Will Digidesign give me all those assets for the $1195 ? The biggest problem I see is with free giveaways with purchase. My iLok gets stolen but not my HD cards does Digi replace the $8650 worth of free plug-ins you got with your system, Do I file with my insurance and say the plug-ins were worth $8650 but my HD Core and Accel Cards are worth less than $2000 ? I would be interested in a response from Digidesign on that.
Hey Dutch,

First off, thanks for your lucid and sane responses to all the paranoid conspiracy theory didn't -read-the-FAQ, can't-comprehend-a-simple-concept posts about iLok. I gave up after two tries, and was tired of sending those posts back to the top of the DUC.

To answer your question, I have all the assets on my iLok insured right along with all my other gear at replacement value . My insurance agent said to do it this way. It adds a little more to your insurance bottom line total, but it's the best way to do it.

Don't confuse replacement value with list price. You insure it for whatever it's going to cost you to get the item back whether it's a Control 24, a DBX 160 compressor, a U-67 mic, or a Sony Oxford EQ plugin. Since C24's have gone down, I don't insure it for 7999 or whatever they list for, I insure it for whatever I think it's going to cost me to replace it. About once every year my insurance agent sends me my equipment list and I re-evaluate my insurance needs on items that might not be as expensive to replace any more.

Hope that helps
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 02-17-2005, 12:51 PM

Thanks RTC

I know I have replacement value coverage on my house, guess I need to contact my musical equipment agent and get it on my iLok. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:26 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you expressing your dealings will iLok like you've just gone through some ephaney? You don't actually mean you'd prefer an iLok to simply keying in a serial number?

I don't think you'll be able to counter the "other current thread" that is dealing with the problems with iLok... why bother.

... no one can use any TDM plugin without digi hardware... isn't that enough copy protection?
Old 02-17-2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:
... no one can use any TDM plugin without digi hardware... isn't that enough copy protection?
Apparently not! Every plug-in which doesn't use the iLok has been cracked before it was released.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••