Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 09:24 PM

Default HyperThreading?

I figure that even though PT doesn't need a hyperthreaded P4 to run, if it had that extra power wouldn't that increase plug-in possibilities? Does Digidesign have any plans to make a patch to allow enabling hyperthreading? Just figure i'd ask because I'm very curious.

Thanx,
Matt
Old 08-09-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: HyperThreading?

Quote:
I figure that even though PT doesn't need a hyperthreaded P4 to run, if it had that extra power wouldn't that increase plug-in possibilities? Does Digidesign have any plans to make a patch to allow enabling hyperthreading? Just figure i'd ask because I'm very curious.

Thanx,
Matt

Hyperthreaded CPUs are no more powerfull than a non-hyperthreaded. If I understand correctly how it works it just theoretically splits your processor into two virtual proccessors so your applications can address data to more than one "processor" at once. If it is eventually supported I don't think there will be much performance increase in being able to run more plugins.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:39 AM

They benifit of hyper-threading is that it reduces the processor latency from wait states. It makes your processor behave as if it where 2 processors allowing it to processes multiple threads at the same time. If one thread gets stuck waiting to access external processor memory (ram, or hard drive), the other thread jump in limiting the number of no-ops from memory latency.

I still do not fully understand why pt does not work properly with ht enabled, but you more then likely will not see any benifit in pt from ht enabled processors any time soon.

Honestly HT is quite overatted as few programs benifit from its use. HT requires the use of more system resources which by themselves can outweigh the benifits. Instead of the l1 and l2 cache being used only to store the data for one processor, it now requires storing the data from 2 processors meaning less immediately available cpu memory (meaning more visits to ram and the latency assocaited with each read and write to and from ram).

So, HT is more hype then much of anything else.

Christian
Old 08-10-2004, 01:22 PM

Proper explanations of Hyperthreading can be found on Intel's website, and it would be best if those who haven't read it, or don't really understand it, don't try to supply one-line explanations.

Old 08-10-2004, 08:19 PM

Tele,

Obviously your swipe was at me. Please fill me in where i was wrong in my explanation. I just read the "in depth" explanation off of the intel site, and as far as i am concerned it confirmed what i just stated. Yes it is an oversimplification of the whole process, but not incorrect. I am sorry i am trying to provide a proper explanation without having read all the white papers, but i figured my software engineering degree would give me a few credentials in trying to explain its benfinits or problems it causes.

Obviously intel is not going to list the negative aspects with using the feature but hardware tests agree with everything i just stated. If you have a problem with my explanation please provide a correction, or at least a link trying to show my inaccuracies.

If you would like me to provide an accurate explanation of threading and everything involved i will be more then happy to drop you an email...of course what do i know, i am just a software engineer.

Christian

PS Tele,

i just read the thread above mine and perhaps you where reffering to that one as yes that is incorrect (which is why i posted) but i did not try to insult him.