Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2009, 07:36 PM

Default Changing I/O Settings in PT8

My previous post is related to this. I'm trying to route the 8 outs from my Akai MPC 3000 into 8 MONO ADAT inputs in the Digi 003 via my Presonus Digimax A/D converter. The sounds in the MPC can be routed to any of 8 output channels. As of now, when I press a pad on the MPC to trigger a note, the sound is going into TWO PT tracks at a time, not one. This is when in "record" mode, of course. For example, if I press a kick on the MPC that is routed to channel 2, I expect it to give me a level in channel/track ONE of PT; but it reads in both tracks ONE and TWO. If I route the sound through channel 2 of the MPC, then the sound comes into PT through tracks THREE and FOUR. Routing the MPC sound through channel 3 gives me FIVE and SIX in PT; and channel 4 on the MPC gives me SEVEN and EIGHT in PT. So, in other words, I'm getting stereo input into PT even though my outputs from the MPC are mono.

My I/O setting is as follows"

1. default settings, "input" tab clicked.

2. On the left side of the matrix, there are 4 stereo analog inputs labeled "analog 1-2", "analog 3-4" and, so on.

3. The next four inputs are 4 stereo adat inputs labeled identically to the previous 4 analog inputs, with the exception "adat" substituted for "analog" in the label.

4. the Final track is "s/pdif" left and right, but I don't think that's relevant.

To the right of that is a grid with the same labeling, but with little boxes. (If you're reading this, then I'm sure you know what I'm talking about). Some of those boxes are under the "analog" portion, while the rest are under the "adat" section, which obviously corresponds with the left side of the matrix.
I obviously don't understand this i/o matrix very well and the manual wasn't much help. I gather that the inputs on the left (the ones I just described) are for PT, while the boxes to the right are for the interface (digi 003). I figured I could change the four stereo adat inputs to eight mono inputs, but that doesn't help. Also, the corresponding boxes to the right are filled in under the "adat" portion, not "analog."

So, as far as I can tell, I've got the i/o dialog set correctly, except for the fact that things aren't working.

What else I've checked:

Earlier I stated that if I route a kick drum through various channels in the MPC, it comes into PT via two tracks. I've tried that with several other of the sounds in the MPC and the same thing happens. Also, I'm getting good levels on my Digimax through all eight channels. BTW, when I was switching channels for sounds in the MPC (as stated above) each sound was also showing in all 8 channels of the Digimax.

Also, if I uncheck one of the tracks in the i/o dialog, then the sound from the MPC no longer is read in PT.

So, to summarize the troubleshooting. All eight of the MPC's channels are firing. All eight of the Digimax's channels are picking up signal from the MPC. And all eight channels from the Digimax show up in PT (but not in the configuration I need), thus I am convinced that the problem is in PT's i/o settings.

I believe that I need to find a way to designate 8 mono ADAT channels in the i/o dialog. But when I thought I had done that, it didn't work. Sorry about being long-winded. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Changing I/O Settings in PT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
My previous post is related to this. I'm trying to route the 8 outs from my Akai MPC 3000 into 8 MONO ADAT inputs in the Digi 003 via my Presonus Digimax A/D converter. The sounds in the MPC can be routed to any of 8 output channels. As of now, when I press a pad on the MPC to trigger a note, the sound is going into TWO PT tracks at a time, not one. This is when in "record" mode, of course. For example, if I press a kick on the MPC that is routed to channel 2, I expect it to give me a level in channel/track ONE of PT; but it reads in both tracks ONE and TWO. If I route the sound through channel 2 of the MPC, then the sound comes into PT through tracks THREE and FOUR. Routing the MPC sound through channel 3 gives me FIVE and SIX in PT; and channel 4 on the MPC gives me SEVEN and EIGHT in PT. So, in other words, I'm getting stereo input into PT even though my outputs from the MPC are mono.

My I/O setting is as follows"

1. default settings, "input" tab clicked.

2. On the left side of the matrix, there are 4 stereo analog inputs labeled "analog 1-2", "analog 3-4" and, so on.

3. The next four inputs are 4 stereo adat inputs labeled identically to the previous 4 analog inputs, with the exception "adat" substituted for "analog" in the label.

4. the Final track is "s/pdif" left and right, but I don't think that's relevant.

To the right of that is a grid with the same labeling, but with little boxes. (If you're reading this, then I'm sure you know what I'm talking about). Some of those boxes are under the "analog" portion, while the rest are under the "adat" section, which obviously corresponds with the left side of the matrix.
I obviously don't understand this i/o matrix very well and the manual wasn't much help. I gather that the inputs on the left (the ones I just described) are for PT, while the boxes to the right are for the interface (digi 003). I figured I could change the four stereo adat inputs to eight mono inputs, but that doesn't help. Also, the corresponding boxes to the right are filled in under the "adat" portion, not "analog."

So, as far as I can tell, I've got the i/o dialog set correctly, except for the fact that things aren't working.

What else I've checked:

Earlier I stated that if I route a kick drum through various channels in the MPC, it comes into PT via two tracks. I've tried that with several other of the sounds in the MPC and the same thing happens. Also, I'm getting good levels on my Digimax through all eight channels.

Also, if I uncheck one of the tracks in the i/o dialog, then the sound from the MPC no longer is read in PT. Thus, I am convinced that the problem is in the i/o settings. I believe that I need to find a way to designate 8 mono ADAT channels in the i/o dialog. But when I thought I had done that, it didn't work. Sorry about being long-winded. Thanks in advance for any help!
It sounds to me like the problem is on the MPC end.. If it considers "channel 1" to be a stereo channel, or something like that... Are there any sounds you could use that are obviously stereo, like something with a chorus effect or obvious panning? That would prove if ProTools is actually receiving a stereo sound or just a doubled mono sound. You could also reverse the phase on one channel and see if they null.

Dig into the routing details on the MPC.. You might have to get all the way into the sample editor level on the MPC, whatever that looks like..
Old 09-15-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
It sounds to me like the problem is on the MPC end.. If it considers "channel 1" to be a stereo channel, or something like that... Are there any sounds you could use that are obviously stereo, like something with a chorus effect or obvious panning? That would prove if ProTools is actually receiving a stereo sound or just a doubled mono sound. You could also reverse the phase on one channel and see if they null.

Dig into the routing details on the MPC.. You might have to get all the way into the sample editor level on the MPC, whatever that looks like..
Thank you for replying. The answer to your question is "no." Besides, the only way to send out "stereo" channels from the mpc is to connect two cables from the "stereo" outputs, which are situated separately from the 8 mono inputs. Also, each of the Digimax's 8 channels registers a level (there is a "clipping" light) when I press the corresponding sound in the MPC. Do you know anything about adjusting the settings in the i/o dialog? Even if it turns out that this isn't the culprit, I would love to tinker around with it. Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
Thank you for replying. The answer to your question is "no." Besides, the only way to send out "stereo" channels from the mpc is to connect two cables from the "stereo" outputs, which are situated separately from the 8 mono inputs. Also, each of the Digimax's 8 channels registers a level (there is a "clipping" light) when I press the corresponding sound in the MPC. Do you know anything about adjusting the settings in the i/o dialog? Even if it turns out that this isn't the culprit, I would love to tinker around with it. Thanks again.
You may be right.. I did notice in IO setup that you can uncheck the stereo box on the inputs.. That might "disconnect" the L-R pairs..

You might also try to "delete selected path" to all the adat inputs, and then add 8 new mono paths. When you add a new path you first need to select MONO or stereo, then you have to place a box in the grid..

I'm still skeptical about how the MPC is sending the sound. If changing things in IO setup does not help then you should dig further into the MPC routing..
Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 PM

Sorry I didn't get the whole digimax aspect... Let me read a little more carefully..
Old 09-16-2009, 04:30 AM

I'm pretty sure I tried all of those things you suggested in the i/o dialog. I think I may have to do a reinstall of PT (haven't done any music with it yet, so no big deal). I don't think it's physically possible that the MPC is sending the audio in stereo. I have always understood that "stereo" is, by definition two channels. L and R. And the MPC has stereo outs, but they are not connected to anything. I am sending out 8 mono channels from the MPC. To be clear, I have physically connected 8 analog ports to 8 inputs of the Digimax. Also, I get a "clip" signal in each of the 8 channels of the Digimax when I turn up the individual gains (there is no LED, just the clip light). The light for each Digimax channel comes on whenever I press a sound on the corresponding channel on the MPC. For example, if pad 1 has a sound routed to output channel 1, whenever I press that pad, then the clip light comes on in the Digimax. This occurs for all subsequent channels, even if I assign the MPC pads to different channels. For example, if I assign the sound on pad 1 to output channel 3, then the "channel 3" light on the Digimax will come on whenever I press that pad. This occurs for any other pad/channel routing. Therefore, I am convinced that all 8 MPC channels are being properly routed to the Digimax.

Also, keep in mind that the default settings in PT i/o are stereo inputs. My guess is that, even though I have changed them all to mono, the changes are not being recognized. Additionally, when I press "default" after changing stuff, nothing happens. I thought that pressing that button would return the i/o dialog to it's factory settings. The more I think about it, a reinstall may be necessary. I am grateful for your input.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 AM

You might just try to delete preferences as per the troubleshooting thread..

You say the clip light comes on on the Digimax.. Every time? Your signal coming from the MPC should not be clipping the digimax on every hit..

I'm still not convinced that PT is at fault, it might be something strange with the digimax..

Sorry I'm running out of thing to look at though..
Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 AM

I also have a Presonus Digimax- using lightpipe in my case it's the drum kit and a keyboard pair

I don't see where you indicate how are connecting- the direct outs of the DigiMax? or the light pipe?

all 8 inputs into my Digimax come into my Digo on the corresponding ADAT input

even if I select a stereo channel I have to have a signal into the Left and the Right input- If I only send a sing signal- I only get half the stereo
Old 09-17-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
You might just try to delete preferences as per the troubleshooting thread..

You say the clip light comes on on the Digimax.. Every time? Your signal coming from the MPC should not be clipping the digimax on every hit..

I'm still not convinced that PT is at fault, it might be something strange with the digimax..

Sorry I'm running out of thing to look at though..
I have deliberately turned up all the outputs from the MPC so at to trigger the clip light. This is the only way I can verify that the Digimax is receiving a signal, other than checking PT. I will consider trashing the prefs. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless View Post
I also have a Presonus Digimax- using lightpipe in my case it's the drum kit and a keyboard pair

I don't see where you indicate how are connecting- the direct outs of the DigiMax? or the light pipe?

all 8 inputs into my Digimax come into my Digo on the corresponding ADAT input

even if I select a stereo channel I have to have a signal into the Left and the Right input- If I only send a sing signal- I only get half the stereo
I connect the Digimax to the 003 via optical cable. Can you tell me what your i/o setup is like? Thanks.