Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-07-2008, 01:26 PM

Default Re: post your PT feature ideas here...

Hello. There is an obscene amount of great ideas in here. It is highly doubtful if not downright impossible that all these requests would ever be filled but probably a good percentage of them will. That's just my optimistic, hopeful opinion. About a year ago I started a thread about a Metadata plug in. Something that can be a bridge between different DAW's that will tell the end user what EQ parameters were used, compression settings, reverb, etc. Even if one is using Pro Tools but does not have the same plug ins the previous system did, all we get at the moment is a grey window that says 'Plug In Inactive' or something like that. If we could find out what they did with their plug in we could do the same with our existing plug ins. It could be as simple as a text file with all the info.

That thread can be found here. You will also see in that thread the link for the 'Feature Request' page on Digidesign's server. You should all visit that link and make your requests and ideas official.

Somewhat along the same lines as a Metadata plug in would be a 'Comments' plug in. I see some requests here for more comments functionality. A Comments plug in could be a super, super, super simple text box that would be inserted on a track. I suppose the best, most practical place for it would be an aux track or master track. Then one could go to town on the comments.

It could also be something as useful and specific as a Cue Sheet plug in that would correspond to timecode, region edits, etc.

But I suppose if the Cue Sheet scenario is too complex or requires too many resources to develop, in the meantime a simple text based Comments plug in would probably the thing people are looking for here. I may be offbase here but I think Digidesign coders could probably pump out a simple text plug in while sleeping. Probably take the raw code of say the EQII rack plug in and just make it a text box.

Well here's hoping we see at least 10% of what's requested here.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:03 PM

Default Ability to turn off toggling tools!!!!!!

Number one. and SO EASY to implement.

Why Digi...why.....

Im going to cry.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Ability to turn off toggling tools!!!!!!

Quote:
Number one. and SO EASY to implement.

Why Digi...why.....

Im going to cry.
i'm also crying about this. wah! please let us turn off toggling tools on the function keys.... puhleaze?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 AM

Here is a great one...

In the "export regions..." and/or the "Bounce to disk.." dialog boxes that allow you to select the sample rate, file type, bit depth, etc....
There should be a list of favorites! How many times in my life am I going to need to select "44.. 16... stereo.." Or "24 bit...88...interleaved..etc"

A favorites list would be WONDERFULL. I typically use 2 or 3 specific settings in a normal day. However there are a dozens of option to carefully select in a cumbersome pop up box.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:21 AM

Here is another good one!

Give us an option to clear the i/o set up with one click! ( or even a couple clicks!) As it is now, you must go to each page ( or tab) and select all assignments and then delete, and do it all again for each page. HATE IT!

Just a "clear all" option would be a blessing.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:32 AM

Im on a roll...

PLEASE!!!!!! give us an option to include ALL playlist in a group edit. As it is now, there is no possible way to have a playlist in the backround reflect an edit that you make on a visible playlist. This is a huge menace to air cuts and group edits that are made before all the tracks have been comped and chosen. The workaround ( done a milluion times) is a major hassle.
This would go hand in hand with anothers request for the Markers to reflect edits as well. IS there any reason to add a few bars to to an entire sessions tracks, and yet still have the markers reflect the old positions? I realize you can edit the markers independently with shuffle and other methods, However you can still not select an audio track AND a marker sequence and make the perfect move.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:35 AM

........."clear all fades from highlighted regions" feature
it would be nice if you could highlight multiple regions and clear the fades and only the fades from them...........

Pro tools used to have this feature! It disapearred.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 AM

How about action markers? I always have different films reels starting on whole
hours in my session. Wouldn't it be cool to able to place a marker (at the end of a reel) that tells
Protools to goto and play at the start of the next reel (a marker).
Then you can just sit back and watch all reels in one flow. Clients would love that.
Now i have to click the start marker of the next reel and press play real quick.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:42 AM

I've been asking for this one for years:

Sometimes when i drag a piece of audio from the regionlist, the actual
audioregion extends the visible area in the timeline. So you just don't know
if you're accidentally putting on top of another region furtheron in the session.
How nice would it be to just have a small red icon light up when you're hovering over
another region.
Now i just place the region, zoom out, select undo, check if i put it on some other region,
and if not, press redo...
Old 04-08-2008, 07:36 AM

Here's my idea....A bug-free ProTools rig....no matter what version.