Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2013, 10:56 AM

Default Breaking up multiple songs in one session into multiple sessions?

My blue band played a gig last week that we recorded. My friend has a Presonus Studio Live board, he hit record for two sets. I now have those Sets imported into 2 sessions, Set 2 and Set 2.

Is there an easy way to pull out the individual songs and put them into their own sessions?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Breaking up multiple songs in one session into multiple sessions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
My blue band played a gig last week that we recorded. My friend has a Presonus Studio Live board, he hit record for two sets. I now have those Sets imported into 2 sessions, Set 2 and Set 2.

Is there an easy way to pull out the individual songs and put them into their own sessions?
There are different ways you could do it. For me, I think the easiest way would be to create a template of the master session, and use the template to create blank (no audio) sessions for each song. Use the ALL group and Control+E to split the tracks into clips for each song, then select all the tracks for one song, and Export the Clips as Files into the corresponding session's Audio Files folder. Then when you open the individual song sessions, just import the audio from its Audio Files folder.

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 08-11-2013, 07:57 AM

What I would do:
possibly first: do a basic mix to go over the whole ting. (You would most often want the drums and bass to have the same sound on all songs if it's supposed to be like a "concert record".)
Then I'd do as many "Save as..."s as there are songs and name them, open each, select "All"-group and delete all but the song in each sessions name.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 AM

The way ive did ....

Save session copies ( = numbers of songs ) then rename and delete all songs but not the one you want on each session ....
Old 08-12-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
The way ive did ....

Save session copies ( = numbers of songs ) then rename and delete all songs but not the one you want on each session ....
Same here
Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
(You would most often want the drums and bass to have the same sound on all songs if it's supposed to be like a "concert record".)
In order to achieve this if I weren't using a template, I would save all settings in any of the plugins used on the first song so the integrity of all songs are kept in the context of the same 'Live' show. This way the plugins settings can be recalled (if nothing else, as a reference point) for each individual song.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
What I would do:
possibly first: do a basic mix to go over the whole ting. (You would most often want the drums and bass to have the same sound on all songs if it's supposed to be like a "concert record".)
Then I'd do as many "Save as..."s as there are songs and name them, open each, select "All"-group and delete all but the song in each sessions name.
I like that too but save the first session as whole concert then save that as working session so you have a backup. I would just crop the songs with A+S and save the working master as whatever song. Get some sounds happening move along. As you are working on the various tunes, and evolving the mix, you may want to import the session data of the last mix into the first session mix to keep a consistency but also a well mixed set. It all depends on how good the band is dynamically and how well the levels were set. Sometimes it's so good you can set it and forget it and just do a few moves. Then just quickly move along and save as.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:34 PM

I usually just split up the songs on the master session, and then delete all but one song at a time and "save as" like mentioned above. You can clean up unnecessary associated audio by removing unused clips from the region list (or whatever its called now). If you click on the downward arrow to the right of the region list and go down to "select" and then "select all unused". Then go back to that menu and down to "clear unused" and click on REMOVE (DO NOT DELETE OR YOU WILL BE MISSING AUDIO IN YOUR OTHER SESSIONS). Should clean up your region list nicely.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtman26 View Post
I usually just split up the songs on the master session, and then delete all but one song at a time and "save as" like mentioned above. You can clean up unnecessary associated audio by removing unused clips from the region list (or whatever its called now). If you click on the downward arrow to the right of the region list and go down to "select" and then "select all unused". Then go back to that menu and down to "clear unused" and click on REMOVE (DO NOT DELETE OR YOU WILL BE MISSING AUDIO IN YOUR OTHER SESSIONS). Should clean up your region list nicely.
That's why I suggested exporting the audio files to individual sessions and keeping the master session intact - I've accidentally deleted stuff I didn't mean to while multiple sessions were sharing the same audio files. Whenever I delve into a project like this, I keep at least one copy of the master session somewhere that it won't get touched - like another drive and/or a DVD backup. It's way too easy to lose stuff in Pro Tools when copying, consolidating and deleting audio. I really wish PT wouldn't permanently delete audio - either send them to the recycle bin or have its own bin that can be emptied when you're ready for it - would have saved me SO many times!

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 08-14-2013, 05:47 PM

I actually keep a master as well, I think we just go about it in different ways. Exporting is probably a lot less tedious.