Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 AM

Default Confused On upgrading to PT11 HD W/Non Avid HD Interface

I've been reading the forums, and I see that a lot of people are asking if you can use 11HD, without having to buy an Avid HD interface. I see that some people are saying that you can, providing that you already have a CPTK license. I currently do not have the money for one right now, and people are saying that Avid will be discontinuing that product.

I''m a little confused on that. What if I want to have the track count, and advanced metering options as PT11 HD, but I don't want an HD interface? I currently want something like a Focusrite with 28X28 in/out. Now if that has the proper drivers, and is compatible with Pro Tools (Sweetwater says it is) then is there any way I can buy a license to PTHD 11 without having the HD hardware? I'm just confused because I saw that Emcha Audio commented on another user asking a similar question. He said "The upgrading of the software is bound to the license, not the gear itself. My understanding anyways." So does that mean that even if I don't have a CPTK on my account, I can still use PT11 HD with a focusrite interface, since PT upgrading is bounded to the license, not the gear itself like they're saying?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Confused On upgrading to PT11 HD W/Non Avid HD Interface

If one have PT 10 want to buy PT 11 HD whaynot if you pay the difference????
😄😡😀
I7 950
RAM 24Gb corsair 1600 (3 sticks)
9-9-9-24
MAC
MacBookPro i7 2,3 15"
RAM 16gb
PT 11.3
003 Rack
MBox 3 Pro
Old 04-09-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitarist1255 View Post
So does that mean that even if I don't have a CPTK on my account, I can still use PT11 HD with a focusrite interface, since PT upgrading is bounded to the license, not the gear itself like they're saying?
If you don't own a CPTK license, there is no official way to upgrade your PT to PT11HD.

You could buy a PT10HD iLok asset over eBay though and it'll behave like PT 10 + CPTK when using it with the Focusrite interface. And this PT10HD license you should be able to upgrade to PT11HD, but like I said, this isn't the official way and there's no guarantees.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 AM

I have a similar question and rather than start a new topic, hope I can jump in here and ask this....

It appears to me that I can do my upgrade, but I'm not 100% sure:

I own PT10HD (I think my HD upgrade path was from my Accel cards), and currently use a MOTU 828mk3 interface. If what I'm gathering is correct, I can upgrade to PT11HD (for $599) and continue to use my 828mk3 interface (keeping 256 voices, surround bussing, etc..).

Correct?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dave View Post
I have a similar question and rather than start a new topic, hope I can jump in here and ask this....

It appears to me that I can do my upgrade, but I'm not 100% sure:

I own PT10HD (I think my HD upgrade path was from my Accel cards), and currently use a MOTU 828mk3 interface. If what I'm gathering is correct, I can upgrade to PT11HD (for $599) and continue to use my 828mk3 interface (keeping 256 voices, surround bussing, etc..).

Correct?
Seems like a yes to your question, though there is debate about wether or not you will be able to go to PT12HD or not.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Since he is an HD owner, he shouldn't have problem regardless of what happens in future upgrades. And he can use HD11 with his MOTU unit.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Since he is an HD owner, he shouldn't have problem regardless of what happens in future upgrades. And he can use HD11 with his MOTU unit.
Thanks guys, this is what I thought I was piecing together from the various bits I've gathered, but just wasn't sure. In essence current PT-HD asset owners are being "grandfathered in" I guess.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
That's what we are hoping, but we have not heard for sure. Clouding things are some things that got said last night in the 1hr webinar avid put on for us.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 AM

Well, we already know that the HD11 software can be used without the hardware, just like before, otherwise why would they be offering it to CPTK users who don't have HD hardware?

And since he is a legitimate HD owner, even if they require hardware proof in the future, he is okay there as well.

So either way, he can definitely use HD11 with his MOTU.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 AM

Well, let me paint a scenario, since I have both a CPTK license, AND a 10HD license tied to my Accel cards I still own.

11 is great, time to go to twelve. I'm asked for a hardware serial number, the serial number on my old legacy cards does not work because they are not compatible with 12.

I'm NOT saying that is going to happen, but they have not assured us that this won't happen. In fact, they hinted that it will go that way, at about 37 minutes into last night's presentation.