Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-16-2019, 04:12 PM

Default Can A V-KNOB Control A Fader Group?

I have PT 7.4 running on an XP machine. My control surface is a Mackie MCU Pro.

I want to use HUI to control a Group of faders. I can use one fader to control them but it means pinging Pro Tools every two seconds.

I am wondering if there is another way to control a fader group with something other then the using a fader HUI code, e.g. a V-POT.

I am just avoiding using a fader as the "ping" drives my Bome Midi Translator crazy. I don't need to know fader position, which what the ping is necessary for.

I understand from a paper I read "that you actually don't have to send a ping at all, to control the HUI. If you never send a ping, the HUI won't go offline and you can control everything *EXCEPT* the faders!"

Thanks...
Old 07-22-2019, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Can A V-KNOB Control A Fader Group?

Tough to say with a system as ancient as this. If you make a group out of the tracks, then adjusting any fader in the group would move all. Since, version 12.7(I think), VCA's are now part of basic Pro Tools, so you might look at this as a good excuse to drag your rig into the 21st century

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-22-2019, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Can A V-KNOB Control A Fader Group?

Thanks "Dave"

I would love to update but I asked for an increase in my SS check and they weren't nice

I have a working IR remote controlling my PT. The only reason to use a V-POT vs a fader is to avoid the dreaded ping which drives me and my software crazy. For what I'm doing I don't need fader position. Thanks...s