Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-01-2004, 11:27 AM

Default OT- Audio Program seperation question

Anyone have any idea's if I should do anything special if I have a copy of PT and a copy of Cubase on my computer at the same time? I have a client coming into the studio that wants to use Cubase for recording through the digi hardware which is fine, but I do not want to un-install anything with PT to do it. Anyone have any idea's if I will have any compatibility issues, or things I should keep seperate in the directories for the installs? Thanks in advance
Old 07-01-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Re: OT- Audio Program seperation question

Can't answer the question directly, but I do have a suggestion: use Norton Ghost and run it from DOS using a floppy.

Make an image of your OS drive just before you install Cubase. Install Cubase and see if there are any problems. If there are you can Ghost right back to how your OS drive was before installing. Far more effective than System Restore.

If everything is fine with Cubase you have two choices. Keep your OS drive as is with Cubase installed. Or make a Ghost image with Cubase installed of your OS drive and revert back to how your OS drive was without Cubase by Ghosting that image back. Then if the need arises and you want to use Cubase again, Ghost your current OS drive to an image and then Ghost the image with Cubase back to your OS drive. This is cheaper than having multiple hard drives with different OS configurations on them in removable enclosures, but does take a few minutes each way. I would suggest removable drives if you were switching back and forth frequently.

The only thing to be careful of is that you always take a Ghost of your current OS drive before restoring the older Cubase image as Ghost formats your drive before restoring.

Even if you don't install Cubase I still highly recommend Ghost as it has saved me from myself and disaster more than once. I take Ghost images of my OS drives and Audio Record drive on a daily basis in case I experience any drive failures. I also take an OS image before installing any updates or new software just in case there are problems.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 07-01-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: OT- Audio Program seperation question

ahh, very good point about Ghost. I actually forgot that Norton did that also. I do have all my session files backed up on an external drive as well as any really important ones on dvd's also just incase. Just would hate to have to re-image the system if ya know what I mean. lol

Good news is that I created a restore checkpoint shortly ago and did the install of Cubase and everything picked right up with the Asio drivers and created clean directories. I have yet to record something in there, but I will post again when I do. I might do the restore and do Ghost though before I get into too much with Cubase on the drive anyways just to be on the super safe side. Thanks for the suggestion.