Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2010, 05:34 PM

Default Why is Avid releasing an obsolete product?

FW 400 is old. It is not available on Macs released in the last year or so. Plus PT is 32 bit and won't even run on the new Mac Pro core 12 machine even when launched in 32 bit mode from what I can tell. Fortunately my old (got it last year) Mbox 2 Pro still works perfectly for Logic and Reason/Record and I can limp along a while longer in Pro Tools on my Mac Book Pro, so I am not totally stuck.

I don't mean to sound snide but everything else I have (E.G. Reason/Record, MS Office 2004 and Adobe CS 5) works fine on this machine even in 64 bit mode. Pro Tools was the one thing I really wanted to get going on here as I had outgrown my previous setup with my MacBook Pro 17 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Since I have tried everything suggested except getting the PCI FW card I will remain dubious to the point of buying anything else from Avid which is not known to be supported.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Why is Avid releasing an obsolete product?

My guess (and that is all it is) is that the 004 (rumored for January) will either be FW 800, or PCIe based. Or might sport both, but this is all rumor and conjecture for at least the next 3-4 months. I'm personally holding off on buying a new laptop until I see the 004.
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 PM

I don't think PCIe, that would preclude a lot of laptops, iMacs and, Mac Minis from using it

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu2 View Post
FW 400 is old. It is not available on Macs released in the last year or so. Plus PT is 32 bit and won't even run on the new Mac Pro core 12 machine even when launched in 32 bit mode from what I can tell. Fortunately my old (got it last year) Mbox 2 Pro still works perfectly for Logic and Reason/Record and I can limp along a while longer in Pro Tools on my Mac Book Pro, so I am not totally stuck.

I don't mean to sound snide but everything else I have (E.G. Reason/Record, MS Office 2004 and Adobe CS 5) works fine on this machine even in 64 bit mode. Pro Tools was the one thing I really wanted to get going on here as I had outgrown my previous setup with my MacBook Pro 17 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Since I have tried everything suggested except getting the PCI FW card I will remain dubious to the point of buying anything else from Avid which is not known to be supported.
Have they even qualified 12 core machines yet? Most folks here wait to buy until after Avid has blessed that machine - sounds like you didn't. Welcome to the Beta Tester club.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 09-15-2010, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu2 View Post

FW400 is alive and well on desktop machines.

PT won't run on the new Mac Pros? Better not tell my boss that...the one we've had running in our studio for the past week might break down! admittedly that's HD, but still...unless you're going to offer both 400 and 800 interfaces, I think an 800 only version is also a bad idea. Many users (particularly PCs) won't have FW800 available without an extra card, and whilst it's easy to connect a FW400 interface to an 800 buss, I'm not sure it works so happily the other way around.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
FW400 is alive and well on desktop machines.

PT won't run on the new Mac Pros? Better not tell my boss that...the one we've had running in our studio for the past week might break down! admittedly that's HD, but still...unless you're going to offer both 400 and 800 interfaces, I think an 800 only version is also a bad idea. Many users (particularly PCs) won't have FW800 available without an extra card, and whilst it's easy to connect a FW400 interface to an 800 buss, I'm not sure it works so happily the other way around.
+1

Honestly Blu2, quit bitching. You don't even have the new Mbox, how can you call it obsolete. Do you realize if it was FW 800 how many people would be on here complaining they couldn't use it on their current setup. There are a lot of people using an 003 with FW 400, recording 18 simultaneous tracks and daisy chaining hard drives.

For the record, my PT 8.0.4 works near flawlessly in 64 bit Snow Leopard. The only issue I have is the "invalid bounds" message that doesn't seem to affect anything.

I'm just so tired of people who don't follow instructions, or somehow think the rules don't apply, blaming Avid for their problems. </rant>
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 09-15-2010, 05:13 AM

004 coming out in january... with a removable card to put in puter like the old 001 or to use as it is currently for portability.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry1 View Post
004 coming out in january... with a removable card to put in puter like the old 001 or to use as it is currently for portability.
Stab in the dark or you're fired?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:07 AM

Just use this cable people:

http://www.provantage.com/lacie-130864~7LACA012.htm
Old 09-15-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead2010 View Post
The new MBox comes with an 800 to 400 cable.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515