Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2001, 05:59 AM

Default Comparing a mix to CD valid?

I know that people suggest that you compare your mix to a CD. My question is how much of the original mix is the CD, and how much is the mastering? Does the mastering improve it so much that comparing your mix to a master is unrealistic?
Old 01-12-2001, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Comparing a mix to CD valid?

Good question- in my humble opinion, yes, a lot is added in mastering that you just probably won't get in your final mix, HOWEVER, it seems that the closer you can get it, the better off you'll be.

I mean, things like overall instrument balance, individual instrument EQ, placement in the stereo spectrum, etc., can all be compared between a mastered CD and our unmastered mixes.

Another thought is that the mastering engineers I've worked with all seem to want more to work with- so they can cut away rather than boost boost boost, so that might be another reason to still compare.

Interesting point though. I really hadn't ever thought of it that way.

cheers

------------------
---
Joe Mazza
Average Joe Music
Old 01-12-2001, 07:54 AM

My experience with great mastering engineers has been limited to one guy: Glenn Meadows at Masterfonics in Nashville. But I can tell you this: IMO the answer is mixed. You should definitely strive to make your mixes sound as close to "ideal" as possible in terms of balance, depth, frequency curve, etc.; but NOT in terms of LOUDNESS. In fact, I think the less you compress the "two mix" the better off you are going into mastering. Compensate for the difference in loudness between your mix and a reference CD simply by adjusting your monitior volume. That'll get you close enough. Then trust the ears of a "master." It's worth it!

Glenn
Old 01-12-2001, 07:58 AM

P.S. to my last post. I sold my Finalizer, and I'm one of the few Digi users who doesn't use Waves plug-ins. I have other good stuff, but I don't put inserts across my master fader (other than dither for burning 16 bit CDs). I don't know if I'm a purist, an idiot, or what -- but I've been pretty happy with the my mixes.

Glenn
Old 01-12-2001, 01:22 PM

I spend my life striving to move from "idiot" to "wise man." Thanks for the encouragement!

Glenn
Old 01-12-2001, 01:39 PM

Yeah, I did the same thing with my mixes. I figure anything I could do to my stereo mix with Waves, a mastering engineer could do with better gear and a more experienced ear.

I used a bazillion McDSP comps and EQs on the individual tracks, though.

And yeah, I made a quickie "master" with L1 and C4 for my own listening purposes while my mixes are off being mastered. I'm just hoping I chose a good mastering eng. They'd better sound better coming back than what I can do on my own!
Old 01-13-2001, 12:36 AM

Only a purist, an idiot, or a wise man can resist the lure of the 2-mix compressor....Bravo!

------------------
sc

When the machine produces tranquillity, it's right.
---Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance