Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 08-13-2019, 01:24 AM

Default Eleven Rack + Boss ES-8 = Noise Issue ??

Hi folks,
I recently try out the integration of the Boss ES-8 with Eleven Rack.

The ES-8 has a Volume Loop which is dedicated either for a Volume Pedal or for 4-cable-method with the FX-Loop of the amp.
So my setup is the 4-cable-method using the FX-Loop of 11R and the Volume Loop of ES-8.

Signal Path: Guitar --> ES-8 Input --> ES-8 Vol SEND --> 11R Guitar Input --> 11R FX SEND --> ES-8 VOL RETURN --> ES-8 Output 1+2 --> 11R FX RETURN (stereo)

This setup allows you to put external effects either before or after the preamp. It's a quite cool thing and everything works so far. This is the setup how it is described in the ES-8 manual.

The 11R is connected via XLR to a dB technologies power amp (HPA 1400). No Computer involved or anything else.

BUT: I get an annoying hiss noise with some of the amps in 11R (the high gain presets). I don't have any pedals connected to ES-8. I don't get the noise when plugging the guitar directly into 11R with same amp etc.

If I put the ES-8 as an external "effect" into the FX Loop of 11R I also dont get the noise. But this setup doesn't give me the nice flexibility...

I also don't have noise when using the FX Loop of 11R only with my pedals.
So there must be something with the ES-8 but I tried so many things now.

Maybe someone here has an other idea??

Thank you and kind regards
Hannes

Last edited by Hannes89; 08-13-2019 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack + Boss ES-8 = Noise Issue ??

It sounds like the level or gain coming into the 11R guitar input is hotter than what you would get from the guitar itself. You probably don't notice it on low gain amps since there is still some headroom, but on amps that already are boosting the gain a lot, the extra boost up front will cause noise.

Try picking a clean amp in the 11R and plugging your guitar directly into the guitar input. Play something and take note of the volume of the guitar. Now plug the ES-8 into the guitar input of the 11R and your guitar into the ES-8 and play the same thing. If it sounds louder, then you need to try and pull the level down on the output of the ES-8 that driving the guitar input of the 11R.

System Details
Old 08-13-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
It sounds like the level or gain coming into the 11R guitar input is hotter than what you would get from the guitar itself. You probably don't notice it on low gain amps since there is still some headroom, but on amps that already are boosting the gain a lot, the extra boost up front will cause noise.

Try picking a clean amp in the 11R and plugging your guitar directly into the guitar input. Play something and take note of the volume of the guitar. Now plug the ES-8 into the guitar input of the 11R and your guitar into the ES-8 and play the same thing. If it sounds louder, then you need to try and pull the level down on the output of the ES-8 that driving the guitar input of the 11R.
Hi junkgear,
thanks for responding. The output level can only be lifted and not lowered. But I think this is not the problem.

I think I figured out that simply my guitar is the problem. I play a Duesenberg V-Caster.
I removed a bit of Hiss by re-ordering the cable paths. Now I have the same noise with the guitar plugged in directly into 11R as when I plug it into ES-8 and use 4CM. The noise more or less disappears when I use the tone knob. This seems to be a thing with the circuits in the guitar. They are a bit unconventional in this model.

But still I am thinking about using Boss's NS-2 in my chain. But I don't really know how to set it up with the 4CM. It's quite confusing. Maybe you have an idea?

Cheers
Hannes
Old 08-13-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes89 View Post
Hi junkgear,
thanks for responding. The output level can only be lifted and not lowered. But I think this is not the problem.

I think I figured out that simply my guitar is the problem. I play a Duesenberg V-Caster.
I removed a bit of Hiss by re-ordering the cable paths. Now I have the same noise with the guitar plugged in directly into 11R as when I plug it into ES-8 and use 4CM. The noise more or less disappears when I use the tone knob. This seems to be a thing with the circuits in the guitar. They are a bit unconventional in this model.

But still I am thinking about using Boss's NS-2 in my chain. But I don't really know how to set it up with the 4CM. It's quite confusing. Maybe you have an idea?

Cheers
Hannes
Glad you were able to narrow it down to the guitar.

As far as the NS-2, there are really only two places you can put it that may help your problem; either in between the ES-8 and the 11R or between your guitar and the ES-8. I can't say which one will be better, so give both spots a try and see which helps more.

Guiltar -> NS-2 -> ES-8 -> 11R guitar in.
Or
Guitar -> ES-8 -> NS-2 -> 11R guitar in.

System Details