Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 PM

Default Does protools run on all Mac Book Pro?

Hello all-
Considering buying a Mac Book Pro for myself as my turion processors are giving me lots of latency. Fairly new to Protools (like three days now) I was wondering if a few people could check out this computer I found on craigs list.

I know it's not a full Sandra, but if you could evn shoot me a line whether its an option or not. It seems like a good price, but I would only buy for protools. If it wont do it I don't need it. And basically my wife would kill me if I bought it and it didn't work

I think its 2-3 years old spec below

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.2f10
Serial Number (system): W86101MDVJ2
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB8A419D
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Could you help me?

Thanks
Old 10-27-2010, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Does protools run on all Mac Book Pro?

As long as it has a firewire port, it should work fine. Turion is not supported(probably why its not working well).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 PM

Any one else who could chime in with their expertise....it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Cody
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 PM

What more do you want to hear? Any mac with a firewire port will work for Protools LE. That includes all Macbook Pros. You just need to get the right version of Protools LE for the OS you are running and make sure your plugins are compatible with that version and OS.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
What more do you want to hear? Any mac with a firewire port will work for Protools LE. That includes all Macbook Pros. You just need to get the right version of Protools LE for the OS you are running and make sure your plugins are compatible with that version and OS.
Well, to be honest, I just wanted to confirm what was already said as I'm planning on dropping $$. I'm so new to this what do I do to research my plugins. The only ones I have now are the ones that come with the ptle.

Honestly, the only way I can get anything to work at this point is to use the pre made templates and plug my midi right in. (that's how little I know about plug ins)

When you say plug ins are you reffering to reseon, waves etc.. do they just have this info on website...does it read: compatable with snow leopard, protoos etc.. any help would be great, again you have no idea how overwhelming all this info can be for me, I never even thought I'd own a cell phone a couple years ago
Old 10-28-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindred View Post

When you say plug ins are you reffering to reseon, waves etc.. do they just have this info on website...does it read: compatable with snow leopard, protoos etc.. any help would be great, again you have no idea how overwhelming all this info can be for me, I never even thought I'd own a cell phone a couple years ago
Plugins such as waves etc is what I believe obsidian dragon was talking about yes. Yeah, generally you can find the info for compatibility of different plugins from the various manufacturers website. For example, for waves you would simply go here http://www.wavesupport.net/SpecialPa...&hidPageType=5 and match up the OS you're running with the recording software (and which version) you plan on using and it will spit out a compatibility table for you that should contain all the info you need.

Hang in there, there's A LOT of information when you first start getting into recording...especially when Pro Tools is involved. Somtimes it can feel overwhelming, but things get better, trust me
Old 10-28-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindred View Post
I'm so new to this what do I do to research my plugins. The only ones I have now are the ones that come with the ptle.
Sorry, just re-read your post. If you're looking for compatibility for the bundled plugins then this would be the place to look http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=343311

Simply scroll down to till you find your plugins