Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Time adjuster, delay comp question

Just curious, here's the scenario:

I am recording drums from BFD midi to audio tracks, each drum, cymbal into separate tracks to edit eq, comp, etc. Should I use or do I need to use time adjuster or nudge the audio tracks back to compensate for any delay in the instrument track. It's late and I'm tired so I may be missing something here.

In other words will the audio tracks be ahead of time because of delay from the Instrument track.

Clear as mud. Right.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Time adjuster, delay comp question

Nothing? To clarify I want to make sure the audio I record from BFD is exactly in time with the midi file. So the rest of my session is in time with the click etc.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Maybe it's a dumb question, now I will have to put my brain in gear, I must be thinking too much. Still any insight would be nice
Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 PM

Can't you just open a track with BFD on it and route the kit pieces to different tracks? I'm not sure with BFD but Steven Slate Drums (using Kontakt) will do this. I never have to nudge or anything.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:37 PM

That is what i am doing, but my thought is this, is the audio FROM the instrument track delayed at all as it's inputed to a audio track. If I put a compression insert say on the VI track it will add latency. Is that latency carried over to the audio or is it entirely playback only. I hope my thinking makes sense
Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 PM

With SSD (again, not familiar with BFD) I leave the kick drum on the instrument track that has SSD on it. Then i send all of the other instruments via AUX Tracks not audio tracks. So AUX 1 will have snare, AUX 2 Hi-tom, etc... then i can place effects on whatever without any delay. Depending on your computer then it should just be playback if anything.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 PM

is the midi quantized? if so, just zoom into the audio and make sure everything is starting right on the grid. if it's not just drag it back onto the grid.

Time adjuster won't help, it would just put the drums more behind the beat. you'd have to put time adjuster on everything other then the drums a delay them to match the drums (if of course the drum tracks are delayed in the first place)
much simpler to just make sure the drums fall on the bar lines

Click me...

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz intel i7, 16GB / OSX 10.10.5 / PT 11.3.2 / UA Apollo
Old 02-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Ok, that works. But If I bus anything (VI, audio etc) and let's say I have Eleven LE or a bunch of Inserts that add a lot of delaly to that track. If I record the bus will my record track have delay in respect to let's say the click track.
In BFD lite you can not buss out separate sounds, so I mute all but say Kick and record it to audio, then snare etc. Then I have soundreplacer should I want to change sounds later plus I find I have more control in my workflow.

long story short, sorry here I'm confusing myself, does PT record from a bus with any accumulated delay?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emorganproductions View Post
is the midi quantized? if so, just zoom into the audio and make sure everything is starting right on the grid. if it's not just drag it back onto the grid.

Time adjuster won't help, it would just put the drums more behind the beat. you'd have to put time adjuster on everything other then the drums a delay them to match the drums (if of course the drum tracks are delayed in the first place)
much simpler to just make sure the drums fall on the bar lines
I meant putting it on everything else.

I didn't have a problem per se but I just wanted to make sure because I am doing the drums last.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM

If you use plug-ins with latency in the signal path while recording to an audio track, all latency will be seen as a delay on the receiving audio track. Either nudge the track to the grid or remove the offending plug-in

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com