Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 AM

Default UA APOLLO QUAD: 1st Impressions Impressive

Hey everyone,

My UA Quad Apollo arrived yesterday: first impression; very, very impressed !!!

Excellent build/engineering quality, presentation, documentation, download, install, set up and registration : all went perfectly first time; essentially plug and play. It seems completely well thought out and executed.

The console gui is preset to mirror the inputs and you can use it full scale (all inputs) or based on the inputs you need and float it on top of your daw gui (protools), plus total recall. so you come back to your session anytime !

I have listened to recordings I did on a digi 003, apogee duet and rme interfaces and a friend's recordings using an rme and UA plugs.

The sound of the apollo to my ear is better, much more transparent and open. I can hear into the mix with a subtlety that just wasn't there with the other interfaces ( and I liked them all); its like being in the soundstage with the instruments; reminds me of the george harrison album extra texture; like the sonic scale has been increased by 50% and the actual sound is neutral without being thin or astringent, like the perfect base for the voices of the UA plugs. I can hear reverb tails very finely!

I completely recommend it. I know people query the cost, but personally when I thought 4 pres, 8 higher end converters/sampling rates, the extra processing power, the UA plugs provided with it, the interface capacity, adat etc, and the UA quality; obviously it seemed like good value to me, I bought one !

oh ya ,, sweetener,, they don't tell you, but when you register, they give you a $100 voucher !

Now does anybody know where some place where I could buy some good plugs !

I'll do some simple recording of my acoustic guitar and vocals over the weekend and post links : ok ? I also have an UA LA-610 mk ii so that will set your expectations in terms of sound quality.

If you are in the market I recommend without hesitation and I do not work for UA or anything like that !

Epiphone
Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 AM

Default Re: UA APOLLO QUAD: 1st Impressions Impressive

That's great to hear.

As for where to buy individual UAD plugins, they can only be purchased at UA's online store, whether with a voucher or any other method.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 AM

Hi thx I knew,, was just joking !!

just hoped people would like to start getting some first hand experience with the unit.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 AM

hey avid curious why you moved this post the apollo currently can only be used with a mac and I use PTX so that is why I posted it there ?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone View Post
hey avid curious why you moved this post the apollo currently can only be used with a mac and I use PTX so that is why I posted it there ?
Too close for comfort epiphone,
theres no such thing as friendly competition or conversation when it comes to a non avid product on the duc.
For what its worth, a friend of mine with a multi room facility brought 4 apollo's but didnt like the sound and sent them back, but of course ymmv,
I can see it sounding as good or better than an mbox but an Omni or HD i/o is in a different league.
Cant deny that the Apollos are flying off the shelves though, Im sure its a nice upgrade for an mbox user, plus you get the uad plugs.
Maybe avid will take notice and add thunderbolt to the omni since they claim to be committed to the native format
Old 03-31-2012, 12:07 AM

I to just got one... Wow its pretty awesome so far. I didn't get a voucher when I registered. Are you a new user of uad products ?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Serious View Post
Too close for comfort epiphone,
theres no such thing as friendly competition or conversation when it comes to a non avid product on the duc.
For what its worth, a friend of mine with a multi room facility brought 4 apollo's but didnt like the sound and sent them back, but of course ymmv,
I can see it sounding as good or better than an mbox but an Omni or HD i/o is in a different league.
Cant deny that the Apollos are flying off the shelves though, Im sure its a nice upgrade for an mbox user, plus you get the uad plugs.
Maybe avid will take notice and add thunderbolt to the omni since they claim to be committed to the native format
Wrong, I suspect he posted it in the pt 10 section where his post makes no mention what so ever of pt 10 and the apollo can be used with any daw, so it's not specific to pt 10. It's not hard to understand.

By your own train of thoughts, avid could and would have been entitle to delete the thread entirely based on the TOS if it was a blatant promotion and undermining of Avid's product attempt, but they didn't, didn't they? So it's not too close for comfort, since it's still easily findable through a forum search and open to all visitors in this section. Again a half arsed opinion about a moderation of the forum to keep it clean and tidy by what they even stated in the section description, where a simple consideration of where you post your stuff and place it in the right place in the first place, would alleviate the need for them to move them to where it should have been posted.

At your house, you go and take a leak in the bathroom right? would your friend do it on your couch and you say nothing about it? Extreme, but it's to the point. Post where things should be posted. If it has nothing to do with PT 10 or 9 directly, nothing to do with an hd or hdx or native system, or with the 11 rack etc etc etc, then it goes in the general discussion section.. simple no? You only have to ask yourself this question. Does my post have anything to do with the direct use of avid's product? No? Then it goes into this section.. doesn't take an astro-physics degree to understand that.

On the OP subject though, Yes the UA Apollo is a sweet little thing, liked it very much when I tried it out.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-01-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Wrong, I suspect he posted it in the pt 10 section where his post makes no mention what so ever of pt 10 and the apollo can be used with any daw, so it's not specific to pt 10. It's not hard to understand.

By your own train of thoughts, avid could and would have been entitle to delete the thread entirely based on the TOS if it was a blatant promotion and undermining of Avid's product attempt, but they didn't, didn't they? So it's not too close for comfort, since it's still easily findable through a forum search and open to all visitors in this section. Again a half arsed opinion about a moderation of the forum to keep it clean and tidy by what they even stated in the section description, where a simple consideration of where you post your stuff and place it in the right place in the first place, would alleviate the need for them to move them to where it should have been posted.

At your house, you go and take a leak in the bathroom right? would your friend do it on your couch and you say nothing about it? Extreme, but it's to the point. Post where things should be posted. If it has nothing to do with PT 10 or 9 directly, nothing to do with an hd or hdx or native system, or with the 11 rack etc etc etc, then it goes in the general discussion section.. simple no? You only have to ask yourself this question. Does my post have anything to do with the direct use of avid's product? No? Then it goes into this section.. doesn't take an astro-physics degree to understand that.

On the OP subject though, Yes the UA Apollo is a sweet little thing, liked it very much when I tried it out.

It also does not take an astro-physics degree to see that I was not responding to you, or quoting you, so mind your business troll...
Extreme, but its to the point.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Serious View Post
It also does not take an astro-physics degree to see that I was not responding to you, or quoting you, so mind your business troll...
Extreme, but its to the point.
Whether or not you were quoting someone else and responding to someone else has absolutely no bearing here. You made a false assumption about the move of the thread and the reasons behind it, and I responded to that erroneous claim. Deal with it

When you pay to host this site, and the bandwith that goes with it, for other people to use it for free, you'll make the rules then. For now, it's their sandbox.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone View Post
Hey everyone,

My UA Quad Apollo arrived yesterday: first impression; very, very impressed !!!

Excellent build/engineering quality, presentation, documentation, download, install, set up and registration : all went perfectly first time; essentially plug and play. It seems completely well thought out and executed.

The console gui is preset to mirror the inputs and you can use it full scale (all inputs) or based on the inputs you need and float it on top of your daw gui (protools), plus total recall. so you come back to your session anytime !

I have listened to recordings I did on a digi 003, apogee duet and rme interfaces and a friend's recordings using an rme and UA plugs.

The sound of the apollo to my ear is better, much more transparent and open. I can hear into the mix with a subtlety that just wasn't there with the other interfaces ( and I liked them all); its like being in the soundstage with the instruments; reminds me of the george harrison album extra texture; like the sonic scale has been increased by 50% and the actual sound is neutral without being thin or astringent, like the perfect base for the voices of the UA plugs. I can hear reverb tails very finely!

I completely recommend it. I know people query the cost, but personally when I thought 4 pres, 8 higher end converters/sampling rates, the extra processing power, the UA plugs provided with it, the interface capacity, adat etc, and the UA quality; obviously it seemed like good value to me, I bought one !

oh ya ,, sweetener,, they don't tell you, but when you register, they give you a $100 voucher !

Now does anybody know where some place where I could buy some good plugs !

I'll do some simple recording of my acoustic guitar and vocals over the weekend and post links : ok ? I also have an UA LA-610 mk ii so that will set your expectations in terms of sound quality.

If you are in the market I recommend without hesitation and I do not work for UA or anything like that !

Epiphone
Hey man.. Just curious how you register and got a voucher ? Just got my Apollo also