Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2020, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Hard drive setup questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Been doing that since 2013 when I got my first PCIe SSD with giga theoughput. Far less problems than dedicated spinners ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well. Each to his own.

~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 09-08-2020, 07:39 AM

Yeap. That never record to system drive recommendation is outdated already. Still, if you have the luxury of multiple drives it is still best to do so. But with that said, if you only have one drive (the system drive) and it is PCIe SSD there is absolutely zero problem having even a very heavy session in there.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:13 AM

And, no matter what drive you record to, keep it backed up! And while you're at it, back it up again(says the guy that has lost data from spinners AND from SSD's)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-08-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Still good for backups, you get more TB for your money

I wasn’t really talking about backups. The OP wanted advice on sample libraries and project drives.

Also, with the price of SSDs, it’s starting to be quite attractive for archiving too. Don’t have to worry about a parked drive not spinning up.

But yes, obviously you’ll get more GB for your money with an HDD.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtal View Post
Hello, I’m about to get a late 2012 Mac mini which will have two ssd drives in it. I was just wondering how to best set it up for pro tools. The main hard drive will be the system drive with pro tools installed. I use a lot of virtual instruments and also guitar rig for recoding guitar so I was wondering if I can have my pro tools sessions and my vi sample libraries together on the second drive or should I get a third external ssd for just the sample libraries or session files?
I would be more concerned with some other aspects of the 2012 model mini, if you mean to run any recent version of PT on it:
Is it this one? https://everymac.com/systems/apple/m...012-specs.html
Not my intention to put you down, but;
Main concern; 4GB RAM.
Next, internal disk(s) is 5400rpm, too slow.
Also, it can run Catalina, but I would guess it's not long before Apple will leave it unsupported.

You could upgrade it to have 16GB memory and it has one thunderbolt port that could accommodate a fast external SSD to be used for system and sessions, using the slow internals for backup, but I wonder if it would not be a better deal to get something newer with more and faster memory, faster buses, more (and more modern) ports, and more years left in it.

I recently got a 2018 mac mini used for about 500 USD, upgraded the ram for about 100 dollars, and I'm very happy with the price and it's performance.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 09-08-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I would be more concerned with some other aspects of the 2012 model mini, if you mean to run any recent version of PT on it:
Is it this one? https://everymac.com/systems/apple/m...012-specs.html
Not my intention to put you down, but;
Main concern; 4GB RAM.
Next, internal disk(s) is 5400rpm, too slow.
Also, it can run Catalina, but I would guess it's not long before Apple will leave it unsupported.

You could upgrade it to have 16GB memory and it has one thunderbolt port that could accommodate a fast external SSD to be used for system and sessions, using the slow internals for backup, but I wonder if it would not be a better deal to get something newer with more and faster memory, faster buses, more (and more modern) ports, and more years left in it.

I recently got a 2018 mac mini used for about 500 USD, upgraded the ram for about 100 dollars, and I'm very happy with the price and it's performance.
Yeah I hear what your saying. I don’t really have the budget to buy a newer Mac mini at the moment but my 2012 is equipped with 16GB of ram and the main drive is SSD. The secondary drive is 5400rpm which I use for backups. I’m just looking at getting something like two Samsung T5 external drives for sessions and VI sound libraries and leave the internal for just the system. I’m hoping that will stream my workflow to its best ability. But yes, a current Mac mini model is definitely on the cards down the track.