Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 06-28-2015, 04:39 PM

Default Studio Live 32 channel mixer

Hey guys! so i am going to upgrade to Protools 12, and i am wondering how well the presonus studiolive 32 will work with PT.
i have a few specific questions:
1 do the faders move in protools when moved on the mixer
2 do the mute solo ect. buttons work in PT
3 does the FAT channel do annything in protools
4 if you apply effects in protools, and play back the track will those effect
have any effect on the fat channel effects

thank you so much!
Old 06-28-2015, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Studio Live 32 channel mixer

the studio live 32 doesn't have any motorized faders

Mute, solo and pan are supposed to be able to control pro tools mute solo and pans.

the fat channel does not control anything in pro tools

and as for the effect, if you output your 32 pro tools channel individually to an input of the live32 then yes, any effects you have on those individual tracks will have an effect on the fat channels, just like if you had a guitar with pedals going to the input of the mixer.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-29-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
the studio live 32 doesn't have any motorized faders

Mute, solo and pan are supposed to be able to control pro tools mute solo and pans.

the fat channel does not control anything in pro tools

and as for the effect, if you output your 32 pro tools channel individually to an input of the live32 then yes, any effects you have on those individual tracks will have an effect on the fat channels, just like if you had a guitar with pedals going to the input of the mixer.
Hi, thanks for responding! So if i move a fader on the console, will the fader move in protools? and is it any good using this device with protools or should i opt with anotherone? i have got quite a buget so prices don't really matter up to about 5000 dollars.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:33 AM

Studiolive series cannot control Pro Tools. Moving faders on those boards does not make Pro Tools move its faders, or vice-versa.

I know, they looks like they have the capability - PreSonus should not have used silver saddles, because the faders are not touch sensitive.

The new CS18AI does have a control layer, but it looks like it only works with StudioOne for now.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Studiolive series cannot control Pro Tools. Moving faders on those boards does not make Pro Tools move its faders, or vice-versa.

I know, they looks like they have the capability - PreSonus should not have used silver saddles, because the faders are not touch sensitive.

The new CS18AI does have a control layer, but it looks like it only works with StudioOne for now.
So, from what i understand, the presonus basicly uses protools as a datbase for the digital audio feed only, and when playedback through the presonus the faders in protools should all be level so you can use the faders on the presonus.

then i will have to ask you; is it worth buying it for studio use with protools?
because it makes recording alot easier with the 14 auxes, but i will still have to use my mouse alot to do things in protools.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio.RED View Post
So, from what i understand, the presonus basicly uses protools as a datbase for the digital audio feed only, and when playedback through the presonus the faders in protools should all be level so you can use the faders on the presonus.

then i will have to ask you; is it worth buying it for studio use with protools?
because it makes recording alot easier with the 14 auxes, but i will still have to use my mouse alot to do things in protools.
No it's not worth it, not for work with pro tools. Take a look at the S3, the controller by it self is around 5k.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-29-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
No it's not worth it, not for work with pro tools. Take a look at the S3, the controller by it self is around 5k.
`but then what about the auxes? also 32 inputs is really nice...
Old 06-29-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio.RED View Post
`but then what about the auxes? also 32 inputs is really nice...
THe point is that you will not be able to control any of the plugins, you will also not be able to do any automation from the controller. You will also be limited by the fact that you do not have a way to scroll through the track from the controller. So you will always be limited to track 1 to 32 of pro tools. What happens if you have 50 or 60 tracks? you won't be able to access the other one from the mixer. Aux on the mixers don't do much for you in pro tools as they do not control the aux in pro tools where your plugins will be set.

It's a good starting board for live rig, but it's really not meant to be used with Pro tools. You could always use it with studio one 3 if you want as they are compatible, but not with pro tools.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-29-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
THe point is that you will not be able to control any of the plugins, you will also not be able to do any automation from the controller. You will also be limited by the fact that you do not have a way to scroll through the track from the controller. So you will always be limited to track 1 to 32 of pro tools. What happens if you have 50 or 60 tracks? you won't be able to access the other one from the mixer. Aux on the mixers don't do much for you in pro tools as they do not control the aux in pro tools where your plugins will be set.

It's a good starting board for live rig, but it's really not meant to be used with Pro tools. You could always use it with studio one 3 if you want as they are compatible, but not with pro tools.
I see, but i want to use the auxes for recording liek a band. So how does studio one 3 compare to protools?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 AM

What would you be doing with the auxes? Headphones monitoring? So 3 is good especially for midi but the audio side of the software is far from being as good as PT.

Wave-T.com