How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-20-2019, 04:49 AM

Default Huge Latency / Delay in PT 2019.6 with VI's

Hello friends,

The latency in PT 2019 drives me crazy.
I want to record VI's , I play them always live.

1. When my instrument track is routed to a mix bus, the delay is unbelievable. There's no way to get rid of it. I always have to set the output of the track I'm playing to the Master.
2. Even when the instrument track is routed to the Master there's a huge latency.
So what I did: I clicked the Delay Compensation, the the Low Latency monitoring, tried both on and off... I reduced the H/W buffer size down to 32 samples, tried 64 and 128. Doesn't matter what. The latency is less but it is still there.

I did some test recordings with the same VI's on an other DAW and the same audio interface (UA Apollo Twin Dual) and there is NO latency. I could play properly. So it's definitely not a hardware problem. I'd like so much to work on other DAW's but I need Pro Tools (Native) for my current work.

Does someone has had the same problem and solved it?
Old 09-20-2019, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Huge Latency / Delay in PT 2019.6 with VI's

What plugin do you have on your buss or master?

I’m guessing you have some sort of ‘mastering’ processor with look ahead or oversampling enabled which indices a LOT of latency and thus... delay.

Take it off or make it inactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 06:25 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have no plugins on the bus and neither on the master. It's only the VI on an instrument track. And it doesn't matter which VI it is. It happens with all of them.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:31 AM

Sounds like your Mix Bus might have some unintended or funky routing going on... This can play havoc with delay compensation...

An example might be that you have a bus accidentally routed to itself, or a bus routed to something which doesn't go anywhere...
If you're not getting the delay issue when the VI is routed directly to a hardware out then something is definitely not right. You ought to be able to route to a Mix bus and not have a discernable delay.... I do this all the time without issue.
I actually route to a mix bus and on to a print track with Input Monitoring switched on without issue.

To troubleshoot maybe try the default I/O settings, or trashing prefs and starting from a clean PT file? Or both..?
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 09-20-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richists View Post
Thanks for your reply. I have no plugins on the bus and neither on the master. It's only the VI on an instrument track. And it doesn't matter which VI it is. It happens with all of them.

Can you take a screenshot of your mix window and post it so we can see the routing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Ok, but I don't think that you can see something there.

The send called MIX is routed to the MIX bus
The instruments which are rotes directly to the master are these I'm playing live, because when they're routed to the mix bus the latency is worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-20 um 17.25.31.jpg (69.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by richists; 09-20-2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Forgot the attachment
Old 09-20-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richists View Post
Ok, but I don't think that you can see something there.

The send called MIX is routed to the MIX bus
The instruments which are rotes directly to the master are these I'm playing live, because when they're routed to the mix bus the latency is worse.
Why do you have several things routed to your main output? Try routing everything to one mix bus which would go to your main output.

Those Vienna strings - is that VEPro? Again why is that going to your main output? If indeed you have VEPro why not just host everything in there? Which revision of VEPro do you have? Secondly are you using just one machine or is your Vienna on a separate machine?

QAPLA!
Old 09-20-2019, 02:03 PM

And so the OP understands why this happens. You are seeing the Pro Tools playback buffer here. 1k, 2K, or 4 K in size, depending on your sample rate. That’s separate from the input buffer you can adjust, and why adjusting that makes no effect here.

There are lots of threads on this stuff on DUC, many of them hard to follow... (I had “latency troll“ flashbacks looking for one to post here :-() This one may help: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=392221

You have a signal route that invokes that playback buffer, not the normal input buffer, likely caused by feeding through an through an aux.

I really encourage folks seeing these issues, to set up a trivial session with a track or two and an aux and click track or similar and play with stuff to see/understand this effect.

Be careful as well with delay compensation if using outboard plugin processing.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Why do you have several things routed to your main output? Try routing everything to one mix bus which would go to your main output.
It is. It's only the instruments I play live with my keyboard. Because when they are routed to mix bus there is this latency I'm talking about here. After recording I'm always setting the output to the mix bus

Last edited by JFreak; 09-22-2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: fixed the quote
Old 09-21-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And so the OP understands why this happens. You are seeing the Pro Tools playback buffer here. 1k, 2K, or 4 K in size, depending on your sample rate. That’s separate from the input buffer you can adjust, and why adjusting that makes no effect here.

There are lots of threads on this stuff on DUC, many of them hard to follow... (I had “latency troll“ flashbacks looking for one to post here :-() This one may help: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=392221

You have a signal route that invokes that playback buffer, not the normal input buffer, likely caused by feeding through an through an aux.

I really encourage folks seeing these issues, to set up a trivial session with a track or two and an aux and click track or similar and play with stuff to see/understand this effect.

Be careful as well with delay compensation if using outboard plugin processing.
That's it. Just played around and it works. Finally I'm recording my VI's routed to the master aux and without latency anymore! Thanks a lot, Darryl! :)