Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 03-02-2017, 09:55 AM

Default C24 Home Studio Table Furniture

Hi,

Could anyone recommend a good table to mount the C24 on in a small home studio ? Approx 1.5 - 2 metres wide, and deep enough for C24 and monitors on a raised section above it, and at the right height to work comfortably with the C24.

I will only be using 1 or 2 racks (Digi 003 rack as an interface, plus perhaps one other), which doesn't need mounting on the bench.

I envisage it would have a raised section at the back that the C24 could slip under, to put monitors and screen on. Most benches however seem to have these raised sections for mounting more racks.

I have seen the Argosy ones and wonder if you know of others that would fit nicely ?

Many thanks for your help.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:32 AM

Default Re: C24 Home Studio Table Furniture

There are usually some used desks floating around at a fair price(new are really expensive) but all suffer the same flaw in my book(actually, 2 flaws):
#1-they all lay the console nearly flat, which makes it very hard to read/see anything without standing up and leaning over the surface.
#2-they usually have a great big bulky and thick front edge, which forces the keyboard and mouse to either be very low(usually on a pull-out shelf) or up on top of the arm rest.
If it were me(and I do like the c24), I would build something that addresses my 2 issues If you are not the cabinet maker that I am, consider; start with a pair of racks, 12-14 spaces on wheels, spaced about 30" apart. Add a flat top(plywood or MDF, painted black) and glue some strips of nice wood around the edges for looks. Place the console in the center and block up the back until you can read things while seated and push the C24 back until you have enough tabletop to fit keyboard and mouse. Then add a "bridge" across the back, just above the C24 meter bridge. Make that shelf 10-12" deep so it can support speakers and screens. At that distance, a 32-40" LED TV(1080P) would make a nice EDIT screen
the space under the shelf on each side (if not wide enough for rack gear)would be handy for external hard drives and other small stuff that we always seem to need nearby.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-03-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
.... but all suffer the same flaw in my book(actually, 2 flaws):

#1-they all lay the console nearly flat, which makes it very hard to read/see anything without standing up and leaning over the surface.

#2-they usually have a great big bulky and thick front edge, which forces the keyboard and mouse to either be very low(usually on a pull-out shelf) or up on top of the arm rest.

So right, I don't know why this isn't addressed more.

The DCommand is naturally raised toward the back

But the C24 is way too flat to see the top knobs of the surface.

So the answer is build one to suit your needs, more detailed yes, but if you plan on keeping the C24 long term then it will make your PT experience much more enjoyable
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:17 AM

My C24 sits flat on an Anthrocart - no issues seeing what I need to see.

I'd strongly recommend against audio monitors on an overbridge - they'll sound much better if put on regular speaker stands a bit further away from you. Can't know without knowing the space, but monitors on desktop tend to have loads of problems in the lower mids in addition to being much closer to you then the average listener's placement.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-04-2017, 02:55 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks all for the great advice.

I've only just bought my C24, which I'm totally loving, but haven't yet bought a desk for it so have generally been standing up while playing with it on a temporary desk of the wrong height.

I think it's great advice to raise it at the back if necessary, I can see how seeing the LCD display could be quite tricky if you were not at a good angle. I will certainly go more down the DIY fully adjustable route than forking out for custom made furniture.

And it is a great shame that this item isn't addressed more; what could be more important after investing in this gear than getting it set up in a comfortable position ?

Cheers guys,
Old 03-04-2017, 04:20 PM

Hi Rich Breen,

Could you let me know which Anthrocart product you use ? And thanks also for the advice about monitor position and using stands rather than an overbridge.

Greatly appreciated and thanks.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:40 AM

Well, since you're in London, check out AKA Design in London and their fantastic ProWave center section for C|24. Just scroll down the page. Here's the link:

http://www.akadesign.co.uk/prowave.html

It's a lot less bulky and weighty than the Argosy desks. I'm sure glad I found them at the time I got my C|24.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:07 AM

Wow, thanks a lot Sound Bites. AKA look fantastic, love the way you can configure your own configuration too, exactly what I need! Very glad you pointed me at them.

Many Thanks !
Old 03-17-2017, 09:21 PM

I don't know if this is any help, but this is what I use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1376.jpg (69.1 KB, 0 views)
HD Native PCIe
Apogee Symphony I/O
Avid HD I/O
192 I/O
Waves DLI
Apogee Mini Me
Mbox Micro
Old 03-17-2017, 09:53 PM

We use AKA and have two of their awesome desks and 6 rack units and some extra goodies for PUSH2 and Roli Seaboard. High quality and super sturdy! Looks very very expensive aswell and IMHO should cost more considering what an Argosy desk cost. These looks even better again IMHO of course

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————