Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2010, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Focusrite Liquid Mix...or Alternatives?

I've been a Powercore-user for a long time. In Cubase it never was a problem, but I switched to PTLE a couple of years ago. For a while I almost never used my Powercore, until I found the way to do it.

But first: To maximize efficiency AND creativity it makes sense to have one "channel-strip" of some sort. My choice fell on the Waves SSL bundle. It doesn't tax my cpu at all, and has 1 sample delay (I use it on every channel, so it wouldn't matter anyway).

What I use my powercore for now is mostly FX and "character"-plugs.

Latency:
Create a stereo AUX-track. Input=BUSS 31-32, output=Main 1-2. On the AUX-track, insert a delay plug-in. Set the delay to the amount of samples the Powercore/UAD/LiquidMix is inducing. Now route everything to BUSS 31-32, including your FX-returns. Everytime you insert a Powercore/UAD/LiquidMix-plug-in on a track, change that tracks output to Main 1-2. This is to me a very workable solution that has made me re-fall in love with my PowerCore. Also, this way is sample-accurate - automatic delay-compensation is not.

Hope this was helpful, and that you find a workflow that works for you.
0153 Oslo
Norway

Nedberg Audio
[email protected]
Old 02-08-2010, 05:54 AM

To add to what's been said......FYI to the question about why the Liquid Mix vs RTAS, understand that the plugins in the Liquid Mix are amazingly good. This kind of quality really can't be had most native plugins, however that's not to say that native plugins can't be amazingly good in their own way---because they can! The REAL advantage to the LM isn't the hardware control, it's the hardware DSP. HOWEVER there is so much data moving through the system that THE LIQUID MIX MUST HAVE ITS OWN DEDICATED FIREWIRE BUS, NOT IT'S OWN DEDICATED FIREWIRE PORT. If you try to share the LM on the same bus with another device, it can become so sluggish it won't even work right. As to the latency, it is extensive---but also predictable of about 2048 samples. The 4,000 samples of latency issue is a puzzle to me as well....
Old 02-09-2010, 03:57 PM

I have had a few friends try the liquid mix and they gave it mixed reviews. The latency being the worst part. Back in May 09 I tried the SSL PCIe Duende v.2 software and while the sound was not bad, the 2048 or so samples of latency just made it suck. When you start dealing a lot of tracks, having to nudge tracks or setup delay subs just wasn't working out, plus 32 busses is just barely enough for me, I hate wasting some on dly channels.

At any rate, I got around to buying a Mac Pro recently and decided to give the Duende v.3 software a try and I am happy to report that there is no latency at all. I have been really happy with the sound and you can expand the PCIe version to 64 instances for $120.00.

Hope this helps,

adaM