Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2019

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-29-2019, 05:40 AM
mightyduck's Avatar
mightyduck mightyduck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: los angeles united states
Posts: 329
Default Update question

Hi, I have PT Ultimate 2018.12 currently installed. I just haven't been updating to the newer versions as they come out.

Its my understanding that the latest version requires at least Mojave, and that I can just run the latest installer over the currently installed version and it will update properly.

Please let me know if the above is correct.



Thanks,
__________________
MD
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2019, 05:56 AM
lae777 lae777 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 139
Default Re: Update question

I'm running PT Utimate 2019.10 on High Sierra (although Mojave is supported) and its very stable.

Before you upgrade, rename the PT application in HD/Applications to "Pro Tools 2018.12" (or whatever you want) and then install the new version, which will be called "Pro Tools".

If you decide to go back to your previous version, just rename the new one "Pro Tools 2019.10" (or whatever) and rename the 2018.12 to "Pro Tools" and you're back to where you were.

This works for me (I have about 5 previous versions in my Applications folder, "just in case").
__________________
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10, HD Native card, Avid 96io interface, Avid 192io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7970 graphics card, Mac OS X 10.13.6
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-29-2019, 06:01 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,887
Default Re: Update question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Hi, I have PT Ultimate 2018.12 currently installed. I just haven't been updating to the newer versions as they come out.

Its my understanding that the latest version requires at least Mojave, and that I can just run the latest installer over the currently installed version and it will update properly.

Please let me know if the above is correct.


Thanks,
Don't know where you heard about Mojave being OSX minimum but that's flat out wrong. Current OSX minimum is Sierra OSX 10.12.6 with the speculation that PT2020 might have High Sierra OSX 10.13.6 as it's minimum.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-29-2019, 08:33 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 17,430
Default Re: Update question

Compatibility info here. Please bookmark.
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-29-2019, 01:18 PM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,887
Default Re: Update question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Compatibility info here. Please bookmark.
IIRC the op was here in another guise some time ago as masterduk (and he got banned). The story continues
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-29-2019, 01:26 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 17,430
Default Re: Update question

Well that would be against forum rules
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-29-2019, 03:46 PM
mightyduck's Avatar
mightyduck mightyduck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: los angeles united states
Posts: 329
Default Re: Update question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
I'm running PT Utimate 2019.10 on High Sierra (although Mojave is supported) and its very stable.

Before you upgrade, rename the PT application in HD/Applications to "Pro Tools 2018.12" (or whatever you want) and then install the new version, which will be called "Pro Tools".

If you decide to go back to your previous version, just rename the new one "Pro Tools 2019.10" (or whatever) and rename the 2018.12 to "Pro Tools" and you're back to where you were.

This works for me (I have about 5 previous versions in my Applications folder, "just in case").

Thanks. So what happens if you don't rename the PT app.

btw, I remember now that I was told that 2018.x did not support Mojave, not that later versions required it.

Anyone else using the procedure outlined by lee777?


Best,

mightyduck
__________________
MD
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2019, 03:50 PM
mightyduck's Avatar
mightyduck mightyduck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: los angeles united states
Posts: 329
Default Re: Update question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Compatibility info here. Please bookmark.
Great post! Thanks!



Best,

mightyduck
__________________
MD
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-29-2019, 03:53 PM
mightyduck's Avatar
mightyduck mightyduck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: los angeles united states
Posts: 329
Default Re: Update question

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
IIRC the op was here in another guise some time ago as masterduk (and he got banned). The story continues
W T F?

Did someone harm you in some way on an Internet forum board? How long ago was it?



Best,

mightyduck
__________________
MD
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-29-2019, 04:00 PM
mightyduck's Avatar
mightyduck mightyduck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: los angeles united states
Posts: 329
Default Re: Update question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Well that would be against forum rules
No idea what he's on about, different user.

Do you know if the method lee777 outlined is acceptable?

Thanks.


Best,


mightyduck
__________________
MD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about the new 10.1.1 update... nexis Pro Tools 10 1 03-19-2012 08:23 PM
I have a question on PTS 9 Update andre67 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 6 11-26-2010 04:40 PM
update question Anibal Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 1 09-05-2009 01:07 AM
Update question paul_g 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 12-30-2007 09:41 PM
XP update question?? DarkShade 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 6 08-08-2002 07:12 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com