Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 AM

Default MDD - Hangs on Start Up

Hi All. Can anyone help please? I recently bought an Apple Dual 867 Mhz MDD computer to use with my Protools 5.1.1 Mix Core system. However there seems to be a problem where the mac system hangs on start up. I checked the Digidesign website and it says there maybe be an issue with the MDD models. Please can anyone tell me what the issue is and what, if anything, can be done about it.

Many thanks

Dave
Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Default Re: MDD - Hangs on Start Up

Not sure, but see if anything on this page helps:
G4 AGP Requirements with MIX systems and Pro Tools 5.1.x

You might try this, linked from that same page:
Quote:
Pro Tools 5.x does not utilize the second processor in Apple Dual Processor CPUs. If problems (such as -6042 errors) occur when using Pro Tools on a Dual Processor CPU, Digidesign recommends the following: Download and install ApplePCI - Apple Multiprocessor and G4 PowerBook Expansion Chassis Fix
Old 02-04-2010, 04:29 PM

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if the download will help but I'll give it a go.

It's this section that makes me think there might be an issue -

"Apple Power Mac G4 MDD "Mirrored Drive Doors" Models — Dual 867 MHz, Dual 1 GHz, and Dual 1.25 GHz and d24 Hardware

Some Pro Tools d24 users (as well as some Digi 001 users) have experienced a system hang on startup with early models of these CPUs. If you have experienced this problem with either d24 hardware or a Digi 001 when connected to one of the "mirrored door" G4s, you should contact AppleCare at 1 800 APL-CARE (within the U.S.). For those customers outside of the US, there should be an AppleCare card included in your Apple product packaging which has the local AppleCare phone number. When contacting AppleCare, customers should refer to the "Digidesign Digi 001 or audio system".

MIX systems are fully qualified."

But it does say mix systems qualified. I have 2 mix core cards and 2 mix farm cards installed.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 06:00 PM

These computers are known for motherboard failure and power supply failure (as well as running hot and LOUD AS HELL). Do a little searching on the web, you should be able to find some documentation on how to check the power supply with a voltmeter. Unlike the Logic area, The MDD g4 area of the apple discussions forum actually has several very smart and helpful people on it. It's a good place to look for troubleshooting help.

Also, check and make sure the PRAM battery on the motherboard is good(date and time will be wrong if it's bad). This can cause weird behavior as well.

You could also try any of the following:

1. zap the PRAM (Reboot and hold down Command - option "P" and "R" keys all at the same time. Allow the startup chime to make it's noise 2-3 times.)

2. Reset the NVRAM (Reboot and hold down Command - option "N" and "V" keys all at the same time.)

3. Shut down the computer, and remove the PRAM battery for several minutes. Press and hold the motherboard reset button for several seconds. Then reinstall the battery and reboot.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:46 AM

I never ran anything previous to 6.4.1cs4 for Mix.

John helped me a lot! Thanx John!

That being said, do as John tells you.... Also, John, u think maybe the Capacitor by the hinge? Check the capacitors on the Logic/Mother Board, close to the REAR hinge to see if they are knocked loose of the MOBO, or if they rock loosely. I guess this is a common issue. I'VE EVEN READ THAT ONCE THIS WAS BROUGHT TO PEOPLES ATTENTION, THEY LOOKED, AND THE CAPACITOR WAS GONE!!!! HAAAAAA!!!!!

I have had a bad IDE cable cause a MDD to hang and not boot.

Bad PCI slots can also cause issues, and they do fail, same issue with RAM slots.

Try disconnecting EVERYTHING but the system drive and a single stick of ram. This could rule out things like bad cables or drives, or other cards. I mean everything. Remove cables from other drives - hard drives, disk drives, cd/dvd drives, remove airport card, remove modem, EVERYTHING

If it launches with just the system drive and single stick of RAM, add components until it fails to launch in order to identify the issue. Of course, this assumes a hardware issue.

Other things you could try would be to freshly install the OS without any extras included. Assuming you could get it to boot to the OS Installer.

I know a lot of people like to run 5.1 or 5.x or whatever. I assume for stability? Unless you really really have to run 5.x, I would consider running 6.4.1cs4

My previous setup was a G4 MDD Dual 867, 2GB RAM
My current setup is a G4 MDD Dual 1.25, 2GB RAM

Both were solid on PT 6.4.1cs4, with OS10.3.9

I had some minor issues with 10.3.4, and 10.3.9 resolved them.

My current Mix rig (I use them for live) is:

G4 MDD Dual 1.25, 2GB RAM, 80GB, 350GB
OS 10.3.9 - Stripped down basic OS install without the extras
PT 6.4.1cs4
(1) Core - Y Cabled
(2) DSP Farms
(2) DSP Farm II's
(Have 1 more DSP Farm, and 1 more DSP Farm II, but need a 7 node ribbon)
(1) 888/24
(5) 888
(Have two more 888's, but they are not racked with the system)
Magma 13 Slot Expansion Chassis
USD - Universal Slave Driver
1U Furman Conditioner
UPS Backup in rear of rack
24U Road Ready ATA

Solid system.

I can arm 64 tracks and record for as long as I have disk space. :)

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Also, John, u think maybe the Capacitor by the hinge? Check the capacitors on the Logic/Mother Board, close to the REAR hinge to see if they are knocked loose of the MOBO, or if they rock loosely. I guess this is a common issue. I'VE EVEN READ THAT ONCE THIS WAS BROUGHT TO PEOPLES ATTENTION, THEY LOOKED, AND THE CAPACITOR WAS GONE!!!! HAAAAAA!!!!!
Yes, that's also definitely a possibility. I actually had an mdd where I found the capacitor rolling around in the back of the case. Soldering it back on solved the issues it was having.

Also had the bad RAM slot cause problems. Everything Shorty mentioned is worth trying.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Does the MDD have an NVidia video card, or an ATI??

If you have an NVidia card, try this move all your cards so the PCI slot next to the graphics card is empty, that will leave you with 3 Digi cards for the moment. Then try to boot. If that works, buy an ATI card.

That was a common problem in 2002.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Hi Guys, Thanks for your help with this. I tried TVPostSound suggestion that it might be a problem related to the NVidia card and changed the card for an ATI card that was in another computer. Suddenly it all seems to work fine. So I've put my 2 Mix core and 2 mix farm cards back in the system and it all seems to be working well now! I'll post back in a few days if I find any more problems. Many thanks for your help.

Orcado