Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2013, 01:30 PM

Default Memory Location/Markers

I've been searching for someone with my problem I can't find a thread that talks about my exact problem in regards to memory locations.

I have a session with a lot of songs. When I set the session up initially I inserted a Memory Location at the beginning of each song. I'm now trying to set up additional memory locations. When I view my newly created Memory Location in the Memory Location window, Pro Tools is putting my memory location at the very end of the session and numbering it in sequential order. I want the Memory Location to correspond with where the actual song is in the timeline, not in sequential order after all the other memory locations.

Is this still possible to do in Pro Tools?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Memory Location/Markers

Found it. Go into the Memory Locations Window and click on SORT BY TIME.
The only problem is that it knocks your numbers out of sequential order. Anyone know how to fix that now? Need to get it back in order.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinlance View Post
I have a session with a lot of songs.
IMO, this is your first problem. My rule has always been one song per session. It's a much safer way to work for LOTS of reasons.

The second problem is that PT is in fact weak when it comes to Marker organization. It cannot automatically, sequentially renumber memory locations sadly.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 PM

Thanks Drew. Well, I have to have all of those songs in there because I am running backing tracks for a live show. There's about 15-20 song for the set.

I don't like the Markers in Pro Tools. It pretty much sucks.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Found it. Go into the Memory Locations Window and click on SORT BY TIME.
The only problem is that it knocks your numbers out of sequential order. Anyone know how to fix that now? Need to get it back in order.
from member sfreiman :http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...enumber+memory
If you want to renumber your markers by time, there is an easy way to do this. (Of course, the really easy way would be for Digidesign to add a renumber memory locations function!)

1. SAVE YOUR PROJECT!! (Just in case....)
2. Select a MIDI track. If you don't have one, create a new one. It doesn't have to have anything in it.
3. Export the MIDI track. (File->Export->MIDI). It doesn't matter whether you import it as a single track or a multi-track.
4. Delete all your memory locations by selecting Delete All from the Memory Locations menu (hold the mouse down on the Name button in the Memory Locations window).
5. Import the MIDI track you exported. It doesn't matter whether or not you import the Tempo Map or replace the existing MIDI track. All the memory locations should show up renumbered in order.
6. If you don't need the MIDI track, you can delete it.

Hope this helps!
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 06-22-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Maybe this might be usefull for you (my "technique" for adding an additional "marker lane":
create a midi track
within midi track make a selection covering song 1 , consolidate
within midi track make a selection covering song 2 , consolidate
within midi track make a selection covering song 20 , consolidate
select all midi clips, automatically renumber in clip list menu :
name : Song_ , start number 1
(or : name : S_ , start number 1 ; so that, when there is much time in the timeline the name of the midi clip , e.g. "Song_17" , will not be automatically condensed to "Son" )

midi clips might be colored (e.g song 1/5/10/15 in yellow, rest in blue, whatever)
so no need to recall memory locations, just a click on the appropriate song number in the midi track
easy horizontal zoom into just one song by clicking midi clip and alt+F
tabbing within the midi track transports quickly to another song start and back

or :
clip list open , only show midi , will display midi clips song 1 to song 20 (in the right order),
select in clip list e.g. song 13 -> jump in edit window to song 13

maybe all the aboved mentioned is only good AFTER recording, I do not know, what you want to achieve with the memory locattions
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 06-22-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks Drew. Well, I have to have all of those songs in there because I am running backing tracks for a live show. There's about 15-20 song for the set.

Got it. Hope you find a way to make things easier.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.