Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2019, 01:19 PM

Default How to create an ascending note in MIDI of 2 Octaves?

Hi, I'm trying to create a single note in MIDI that spans 1-2 octaves. It seems I can only do about 2 tones. Can you help?

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2019, 03:21 PM

Default Re: How to create an ascending note in MIDI of 2 Octaves?

Go to the the pitch bend settings on the VI you are using and set it to 2 octaves. Draw a line in the corresponding automation lane.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:14 PM

Thanks for your reply. Where in the settings do I do that? When I choose pitch bend on the instrument track I only have a range of like 2 tones. If you want o email me a screen shot or anything, you can also email me at [email protected]. I appreciate it!
Old 10-29-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james8oasis View Post
Thanks for your reply. Where in the settings do I do that? When I choose pitch bend on the instrument track I only have a range of like 2 tones. If you want o email me a screen shot or anything, you can also email me at [email protected]. I appreciate it!
It's not in PT settings but in each vi you're using. And to find that out you have to actually read the manual that comes with the vi. That's if you want to do it by way of pitch bend.

You could always use a series of notes increasing in pitch.

A lot depends on how smooth you want the pitch change to be. Pitch bend by way of a MIDI message will give you a smooth change and separate notes will give you stair-stepped notes.

QAPLA!
Old 10-29-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It's not in PT settings but in each vi you're using. And to find that out you have to actually read the manual that comes with the vi. That's if you want to do it by way of pitch bend.

You could always use a series of notes increasing in pitch.

A lot depends on how smooth you want the pitch change to be. Pitch bend by way of a MIDI message will give you a smooth change and separate notes will give you stair-stepped notes.
This ^^^, just open the instrument you are using on that track, see if there's any settings icon or button, find the range of the pitch bend wheel and change it to 2 octaves, that will change it in Pro Tools too. The easiest way is to read the manual and find how to do it as it is different for every plugin.