Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-12-2017, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Source Elements Live: Limitations?

It is with HUGE regret I have to say we've abandoned Session Link Pro for real time use. It's just not reliable enough - glitches, pops, and still getting full on Dalek mode which needs reconnections to fix. Our lines test at very high speeds both ends, but yet this is just not robust enough. Apparently the connection is peer to peer as well, so it should work - maybe the buffer has to be increased to be reliable or something, but that is beyond user control.

For now we've decided to go back to sending offline video, then just using real time conferencing for fixes, where the glitches will be less showstopping. Far from ideal.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-12-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
It is with HUGE regret I have to say we've abandoned Session Link Pro for real time use.
What do you mean by "real time use"? Are you talking about streaming real time video? Or is the audio side of SLpro also not usable?
We've tried it recently to work around 3-way SC trouble that was very tricky to setup and in the end didn't work while SLpro did to connect the 3rd station while the others ran SC as a regular two way.

It sounds cool that SLP comes with 3-way audio built in. Only downside at the moment is there are way more SC studios around the world but I do like the concept of building this as a Chrome app so there's no discussion ever about which studio runs what version of SLP. They are automatically on the same version.

Only used SLP once but it worked well (not with video streaming but just audio just like SC). Curious to hear about more experiences.

F.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:14 AM

This is for streaming real time video and audio in both directions, of which the most critical was outgoing audio. We tried their video conferencing and also their ISDN replacement with bolt on video, neither were stable enough for us, sad to say - the outgoing audio suffered too many glitches despite upload speeds of over 20mbps (download 380mpbs). Their support was very quick and helpful as far as it could be, but in the end neither they nor us could make it a reliable enough experience.

EDIT - should say that the first two days, while not problem free by any means, were just about livable with, but today was beyond the pale. Obviously this has to be really solid and reliable for client use.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
This is for streaming real time video and audio in both directions, of which the most critical was outgoing audio. We tried their video conferencing and also their ISDN replacement with bolt on video, neither were stable enough for us, sad to say - the outgoing audio suffered too many glitches despite upload speeds of over 20mbps (download 380mpbs). Their support was very quick and helpful as far as it could be, but in the end neither they nor us could make it a reliable enough experience.

EDIT - should say that the first two days, while not problem free by any means, were just about livable with, but today was beyond the pale. Obviously this has to be really solid and reliable for client use.
Thanks, but what about using it like source-connect? As in live audio only and transport linking sessions with QT present on either side (not streaming video)? Did you try that as well? I only tried it once and it worked quite well. But this was a one-time experience.
Just to evaluate if it's an alternative to SC? The price difference is gigantic between them. I find the browser-based approach very clever to minimise issues with versions, updates etc.

Thanks

Frank.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:22 AM

MTC chasing? No we haven't tried that, it would require PT or similar at the client end of course.

Mildly infuriatingly, we just had a conference session to just do the notes, the client having watched the offline video. I had to restart the session once, otherwise it was impeccable. Had it been like that this morning, we'd be carrying on all in real time. It's just very hit or miss it seems.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-12-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
MTC chasing? No we haven't tried that, it would require PT or similar at the client end of course.

Mildly infuriatingly, we just had a conference session to just do the notes, the client having watched the offline video. I had to restart the session once, otherwise it was impeccable. Had it been like that this morning, we'd be carrying on all in real time. It's just very hit or miss it seems.
Cool thanks for the info. Might give it a try soon...
Old 12-12-2017, 08:37 AM

we use slp regularly, with no or little problems.
we use MTC chasing as well as sending the video via their streaming solution, if there is no studio on the other end.
both solutions work pretty well an reliable.
that said, we have had days where it was just hardly usable, with no idea so far, why that would have been.

99 % this works really good, but we have had issues from time to time.
very easy to set up!

PS: Frank, if you like to try a session just send a pm.
PPS: I am in no way connected to the company running slp. Just a happy camper. This is the best solution for us in the last years.
Video Slave 4.3.477
Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 AM

A thread revival to see if anyone has had any more luck with finding a solid solution. I have a new rig which is stable quality-wise with Session Link Pro unlike before, but a new deal-breaking problem is that the sync is horrendous. This is using screen capture from a 1050ti - a total non-starter.

Support now say that they recommend a capture rather than a graphics card, such a Black Magic, but even then they can't guarantee sync. It might be a pain to set up and integrate with the rest of my rig, but I'd pursue it if I thought it was reliable - I just don't have good vibes from them.

Anyone else using any other software? Don't suppose Source Connect have gotten their latency to an acceptable point yet?

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 08-15-2018, 01:28 PM

Really struggling to find a solution here. SLP claim capture cards work better. So would this - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity - help? My 4 out graphics card is working fine for me locally, but if capture cards are more rugged for streaming over the net then maybe this could help. I'm figuring to potentially put in-line with my HDMI out to my video monitor. Crazy talk?

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 08-18-2018, 12:55 PM

Lots of bad reports.
In contrast, we just had a very successful session last week between Zurich and LA using SC Pro and RTS. Audio delays were maybe 200msec, and the whole session worked almost like next door, good enough to judge sync on our (the remote) side. Maybe just luck, or courtesy of fibre optics.
RTS I think is great, using control data flow rather than sending picture. As it is a MMC type protocol, it should at least basically work also with other-than-protools DAW's.