Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2007, 02:53 AM

Default mastering with ozone

i just bought an additional LE system (mbox2) for editing. the bundled ignition pack contains the izotope ozone mastering plug. looks and sounds really nice so far, but you can´t really play around with because its the lite version. on my HD system i´am using the mcdsp ml4000 as my main limiter. anybody here who owns and uses both? is it worth to upgrade to the full version of ozone?
thanks and merry christmas...
Old 12-26-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: mastering with ozone

I have had Ozone for about a year now, and quite like the limiter. I have a bunch of mcdsp plugs and think that Colin makes great sounding stuff. I don't have the mastering limiter, however, so can't compare it directly to the Ozone. Other things I find useful in Ozone are the exciter, (used tastefully) and the eq, for ducking a bit of mud now and again. I have never used the reverb, the stereo spreader hasn't been very useful, and the multiband compressor isn't as easy to wrangle as some others I have. That said, I think the limiter is worth the money. The only gripe I have is that it will glitch randomly if you don't be sure to turn off all the meters before you bounce.

G\
Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
i just bought an additional LE system (mbox2) for editing. the bundled ignition pack contains the izotope ozone mastering plug. looks and sounds really nice so far, but you can´t really play around with because its the lite version. on my HD system i´am using the mcdsp ml4000 as my main limiter. anybody here who owns and uses both? is it worth to upgrade to the full version of ozone?
thanks and merry christmas...
I have used both.. I like the iZotope stuff for other things that Mastering, such as trashing sounds etc.. I really like Colin's stuff as well and have been doing good things lately with the ML4000.. Hoping he goes to a larger multi-band version soon like the L3-16 from Waves which I am considering as well. I also recently found this item for a number of plugs from France.
http://www.fluxhome.com/

They have demos, looks pretty interesting and supports RTAS as well as AU and VST I think.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 12-27-2007, 02:47 AM

I have to say warning.....The full version of Ozone if used to it's full settings which makes it sound it's best will bog down urrr cpu really bad. The RTAS version is not that great at full version. I love the Ozone and I also love my MCDSP-4000 as well I love my L3-16. I use all of them.
Digidesign has to do some MAJOR redesigning to RTAS.
Example: The Ozone ran on highest settings (Which really let's you know how great Ozone is) in Pro Tools can only use 3 to 4 in 44.1k and 1 to maybe 2 at 88.2k.
In Logic Pro 8 which uses AU plugins and I have the Ozone for that as well at the same settings at 88.2k I stopped trying to do anymore after 32 instances. RTAS is greatly flawed and Digi admits it and said they are working on it. Thank GOD!!!!
Ozone at it's highest setting is one of the best by far. The only thing it doesn't compare to is limiting with the L3-16. This in RTAS is also a cpu hog. Only one instance in 88.2k but, incredible sounding.
My pick in all is.....

1. L3-16 Waves
2. Ozone Izotope
3. ML-4000 McDSP

M2E...1ne
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 12-27-2007, 10:42 AM

thanks, guys...