Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2019, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkofani View Post
Thanks for the reply but a Gearslutz thread is hardly real inside knowledge of the business

Anyway, I don’t want to go any further than this as my post is way off topic but in that thread, that I didn’t read the full 4 pages, it didn’t take long that it was mostly posts by Apple haters and the question isn’t really answered in the end. How many copies does Apple need to sell before they’re break even with R&D? All copies sold after that number is 100% profit so I’m not so sure Logic is a “loss leader”.

Like a lot people here I’m sure, I know people who bought Logic but are not that much in Audio production, but because it’s 200$ they bought it because they needed to work on audio and didn’t want to bother with GarageBand. If you lower the price of your product so much that you sell a crazy number of copies, you’ll end up making a good profit, if we’re talking software and not hardware goods.

The one sure thing in the advantage of Apple is they have the funds upfront to finance the R&D so if profit comes later on during the product’s life, they can live with it without loosing sleep. Which could be different when talking about a company whose main revenue is the lowered priced product.

Blink
Blink,
True, Gearslutz is hardly gospel, but it is a good source since many pros and insiders use the sight. Hit or miss though, I agree. But back to your original question, does Apple make a profit off Logic Pro X. I think the answer is yes, based off the amount of computers they sell for those that want to use Logic Pro X. The DAW is the reason to buy the expensive computer for many pro audio users. I purchased my original Mac Pro back in 2009 for that very reason and have been a Mac user ever since, so I guess I'm an example of this. I use Pro Tools and Logic Pro X equally. I like Pro Tools better for certain things (tracking audio and editing) and Logic Pro for others (VIs, midi).

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman