Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 AM

Look, I feel your pain as I'm a Waves owner as well, but maybe it's time to move on. A lot of us already have (I stopped using them over a year ago, there are so many better alternatives out there). I choose Pro Tools over Waves.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
Look, I feel your pain as I'm a Waves owner as well, but maybe it's time to move on. A lot of us already have (I stopped using them over a year ago, there are so many better alternatives out there). I choose Pro Tools over Waves.
Me too. I just sold my waves bundle and am not looking back. I'm not even a DSP user. I just don't like them playing politics. That with the WUP, and the fact there are many are as good or better alternatives, gave me the incentive to move on.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 PM

Default Re: AVID Must DO Something for AAX DSP

Sure, I would love to see my investment in Waves cover DSP. But after being forced into much improved alternatives, I find myself somewhat grateful to them for breaking my addiction. (and native will still work when you need it)

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-11-2012, 12:20 PM

Default Re: People - STOP BLAMING AVID BECAUSE WAVES SUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
...there's still folks using Waves bundles?...wow...it'll be one of your most relieving moments when you trash all things Waves...you'll forget in about one week what is what like to use poorly designed inefficient plugs that are too expensive...
Yes there are still folks using Waves... 15 +some years of scores, sessions and projects with Waves all over them. We are "not" a home or project studio to make a shift overnight.
Before a film project is re-released (and/or released on BlueRay or other formats) it comes back to us for re-work... so no we can not just switch hundredths of Waves PI instances on a given project to another PI developer.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
Yes there are still folks using Waves... 15 +some years of scores, sessions and projects with Waves all over them. We are "not" a home or project studio to make a shift overnight.
Before a film project is re-released (and/or released on BlueRay or other formats) it comes back to us for re-work... so no we can not just switch hundredths of Waves PI instances on a given project to another PI developer.
You don't have too. You still own waves. Just open the project as native and do the revision. HDN will work for this, so will HDX (but you might loose voices here) and so will any HD native with any core audio interface.

This no plug ins for DSP thing is a huge myth. What other DSP platform has this many DSP plug ins this quickly. Does UAD, Fairlight, TC electronics or any other hardware console let you pull up whatever EQ you want from a huge list like AVID and HDX lets you do? NO! The only DSP platform that lets you do more plug ins then HDX is HD, TDM. TDM has been around for a really long time. Just wait and HDX will mature into a very good DSP platform and the best audio editor in the planet.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:06 PM

^^^ He's right ^^^

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
You don't have too. You still own waves. Just open the project as native and do the revision. HDN will work for this, so will HDX (but you might loose voices here) and so will any HD native with any core audio interface.

This no plug ins for DSP thing is a huge myth. What other DSP platform has this many DSP plug ins this quickly. Does UAD, Fairlight, TC electronics or any other hardware console let you pull up whatever EQ you want from a huge list like AVID and HDX lets you do? NO! The only DSP platform that lets you do more plug ins then HDX is HD, TDM. TDM has been around for a really long time. Just wait and HDX will mature into a very good DSP platform and the best audio editor in the planet.
Amen!

Wave-T.com
Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 PM

Pro tools 11? Why are you people worrying about software that is not even in Beta yet?
I would not expect much of anything new from Avid for quite a while since what they did to their R&D dept.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Pro tools 11? Why are you people worrying about software that is not even in Beta yet?
I would not expect much of anything new from Avid for quite a while since what they did to their R&D dept.
Possibly however one can hope can't we???
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
Have you considered to keep your old TDM system + plug ins? You don't have to use the exchange program if you want to go HDX for future projects.
Just put the old system in the storage room and pull it out if someone needs something old re-done.

From a business point of view, consider if projected income for work on old projects will justify the higher cost.

Best,

J.

AVID Certified Instructor