Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2019, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Mac Mini 2018 & PT...

hey, I bought the new Macmini 2018 a few months ago and am running PT 2019.6 Ultimate. I added 32 Gigs of ram purchased via OWC.

One thing I discovered the unit will only support 3 displays and we needed 4 so we bought the AJA T-Tap for the TV monitor. ( I do audio Post production)

I also discovered by adding the T-Tap to this mix it seriously reduced the amount of CPU usage the computer needed to render video, the T-Tap takes up that load and deals with video compression codecs and removes the computer CPU from having to deal with that intense CPU task.

So far I can run projects that I'm pre-mixing on my MacPro late 2013 (3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 64 gigs ram) without any issues on the macmini 2018. When I look at the System Usage window in protools and compare that usage with my macpro the 2 units are using approximately the same amount of CPU. ( also note this comparable CPU usage only happened once I introduced the T-Tap to this mix)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0007185/
coryrizos.com
Old 11-17-2019, 07:22 AM

I've had mine for a while now. One tip: I have a silent fan cooling my rack shelf where the mini sits (an arm's length away from mix position). However, I was noticing the Mini's internal fan ramping up under load (during offline bounces in particular) and becoming more audible. Not terrible, but I wouldn't want to be tracking vocals near it when at that higher fan speed. I ended up getting the "Turbo Boost Switcher" app to shut off the turbo boost function. With turbo boost disabled, the fans never get up to the audible speed. The only noticeable downside is that offline bouncing takes a bit longer.

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 11-18-2019, 03:12 AM

Cool
Old 11-18-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
One tip: I have a silent fan cooling my rack shelf where the mini sits (an arm's length away from mix position).

Tim
Thanks. I'll have mine in the maschine room so no issue here...
Old 11-18-2019, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I've had mine for a while now. One tip: I have a silent fan cooling my rack shelf where the mini sits (an arm's length away from mix position). However, I was noticing the Mini's internal fan ramping up under load (during offline bounces in particular) and becoming more audible. Not terrible, but I wouldn't want to be tracking vocals near it when at that higher fan speed. I ended up getting the "Turbo Boost Switcher" app to shut off the turbo boost function. With turbo boost disabled, the fans never get up to the audible speed. The only noticeable downside is that offline bouncing takes a bit longer.

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryos View Post
hey, I bought the new Macmini 2018 a few months ago and am running PT 2019.6 Ultimate. I added 32 Gigs of ram purchased via OWC.

Thanks

One thing I discovered the unit will only support 3 displays and we needed 4 so we bought the AJA T-Tap for the TV monitor. ( I do audio Post production)

I also discovered by adding the T-Tap to this mix it seriously reduced the amount of CPU usage the computer needed to render video, the T-Tap takes up that load and deals with video compression codecs and removes the computer CPU from having to deal with that intense CPU task.

So far I can run projects that I'm pre-mixing on my MacPro late 2013 (3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 64 gigs ram) without any issues on the macmini 2018. When I look at the System Usage window in protools and compare that usage with my macpro the 2 units are using approximately the same amount of CPU. ( also note this comparable CPU usage only happened once I introduced the T-Tap to this mix)