Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-07-2018, 02:02 PM

Default Scarlett 18i20 1st gen + PT 12.8.3

Hey everyone, I have a 1st generation Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 that I am currently trying to get working in PT 12.8.3, on a used MacBook Pro with Sierra on it. I can't rely on any of the video tutorials I've seen; the one by Focusrite is only for 2nd gen devices, and the other one I saw... it said to do command+n when you saw the black program loading box, but every time I did that it crashed the program. There were a couple commenters on that video who said they had the same issue.

Mix Control is working perfectly fine as a standalone program; I had connection issues in the past but once I switched to a new USB cable they all went away.

I imagine there's something I need to do once I get a PT session started in order to record with it, but I feel completely inundated with all the options there are and I have no idea what does what.

What exactly do I need to do here?

Thanks, LD
Old 03-07-2018, 02:15 PM

Default Scarlett 18i20 1st gen + PT 12.8.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by literaldimwit View Post
Hey everyone, I have a 1st generation Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 that I am currently trying to get working in PT 12.8.3, on a used MacBook Pro with Sierra on it. I can't rely on any of the video tutorials I've seen; the one by Focusrite is only for 2nd gen devices, and the other one I saw... it said to do command+n when you saw the black program loading box, but every time I did that it crashed the program. There were a couple commenters on that video who said they had the same issue.

Mix Control is working perfectly fine as a standalone program; I had connection issues in the past but once I switched to a new USB cable they all went away.

I imagine there's something I need to do once I get a PT session started in order to record with it, but I feel completely inundated with all the options there are and I have no idea what does what.

What exactly do I need to do here?

Thanks, LD

Sounds like you need to find a basic tutorial on getting started with Pro Tools. DUC is not the place where folks have the time to reproduce full tutorials or documentation. But this may get you started..

Is that interface selected as the Playback engine in Pro Tools?

Start by making sure you can play back some prerecorded audio in a session... in a new empty session create a stereo audio track in Pro Tools and drag and drop an existing mp3 or similar file on that track and make sure it plays back OK when you press play.

Then work out how to track in Pro Tools using software monitoring (no Mix control used for hardware monitoring).

Create an audio track in Pro Tools. and select the input source in the input pulldown selector.... start simple like with a single mono mic into a mono audio track or a guitar DI into a mono audio track (with amp simulator plugin).... pick an appropriate tutorial/example on YouTube closest to what interests you ... and learn how to do that. Once you have that working you can play with mix control for hardware monitoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2018, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Scarlett 18i20 1st gen + PT 12.8.3

Check out some of the video tutorials on Avid's YouTube channel.
Although this one is for Pro Tools First, the concepts are the same for regular PT and should give you a good idea of how to get started.

Get Started Fast with Pro Tools | First

System Details