Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 05-17-2017, 02:03 PM

Default Problems with i/o setup after upgrading from PT9 - PT10 [solved]

Hello,

I upgraded from Pro Tools v9 to version 10.3.10 today - and with all plug-ins checked and correct, i thought it had all gone fine.

Alas, my 'blind-spot', the i/o setup seems to have gone awry.

On a smaller session, the audio is playing back fine through the usual master fader, but on other sessions, with more tracks and busses - i can see everything playing back fine, but nothing is going to the master fader. If i change the output of the master to, say, Analog 3-4, instead of 1-2 - i can hear the track again, but it's not under master fader control...and is without any 'mix-buss' processing.

My tracks are all routed to Analog 1-2, as per usual (or via busses).

And though i've spent the evening looking at forums, and watching a puremix tutorial on it, i'm still completely bereft of wisdom on this!

I've re-set each tab of the i/o to 'default', and i've gone through the bus tab, unchecking any greyed/italic entries.

Curiously, any previous input mention of Mic/Line 1, Mic/Line 2, is now, Analog 1, Analog 2

...and if i resolve this problem on one session, am i right in thinking that as long as i leave the i/o setup 'session overwrite current i/o setup...' box unchecked, then it'll remain resolved for any other old Pro Tools 9 tracks i open in the new version.

Thank you in advance for any advice :)

Interface: Digi 003 / iMac (late 2009) / OS 10.6.8 / PT 10.3.10

Last edited by Dear Light; 05-17-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Problems with i/o setup after upgrading from PT9 - PT10

Solved it! Don't know quite how - as i tried a few things at the same time. But for anyone else with a similar problem, a quick summary:

1. My download of Pro Tools v10.3.10 was originally done via wifi, and my computer did freeze when it reached 100%, only when re-booting did the downloaded file become a .dmg file rather than a 'download in progress' file. Upon advice from someone with a similar issue - i downloaded the installer again via ethernet and this download completed in a much more assertive fashion!

2. My mac OS is still on 10.6.8 - so i downloaded PT version 10.3.5 instead, as i'm think 10.3.10 is recommended with OS 10.7 and higher

3. I also belatedly realised that i would have a backup of my io setup 'last used' document on my time-machine which i backed up just before my upgrade process. I was then able to load this into new PT10 sessions - and the naming of tracks such as 'Mic/Line 1' instead of 'Analog 1' was back to how i'm used to seeing it

4. And finally, i originally did a 'safe uninstall' of PT9 - but did a 'clean uninstall' the second time around

Hope this helps others.