Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM

Red face Time line/Edit selection delima!

Someone please help! I'm still on the same session that I've been working on for a long time,(to say the least). I'm saying up front that I don't understand the proper uses of the "Link,(and unlink) time line and edit functions. I was going to edit out a section from one track and did not notice that I had inadvertantly highlighted,(selected) the same portion of all other tracks. Of coarse I managed to delete the same section across all tracks! Fortunately I had thought to save the session "as" so I didn't lose everything. I went to the manual and now have a slightly better understanding of the function but, no matter what I do, when I try to select a part of an individual playlist, all others are also selected! I sure don't want to let the same dog bite me twice! I've reviewed the preferences section and I am aware of the on screen buttons that select and unselect the function. can someone please advise me on this. I would be most appreciative.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Time line/Edit selection delima!

It Sounds like you may have the "All" group selected. You need to check in the Group List, this can be found by pressing the show/hide icon at the bottom left of the Mix/Edit window. If all is highlighted in grey, just press it to toggle it off.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 AM

Smile Re: Time line/Edit selection delima!

Roland Clark, thanks a whole bunch! that was the problem. This is the second time I've been confounded by "All" in the track list! I won't forget this time. I can't imagine why that feature is built in to the program. It's real easy for inexperienced users to accidently get in trouble because of it. The users guides don't even hint about it in the sections describing link timeline and edit! The other time I ran in to it was when "all" tracks were highlighted and I clicked delete with the intention of only deleting one track WRONG! I lost the entire session! I almost let the same dog bite me twice but this time I waited on good advice from someone who knows.