Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 AM

Default GT-10 Guitar Pedal & Patches

First off I'd like to know what they are & what they are to eachother...
SMF, Midnam, Middev.

The issue i'm having is Boss's GT-10 librarian puts out patches in SMF. From what I know and understand, Pro Tools 8x needs a midnam & middev file to get my patches within Pro Tools.

What are my options?
- Ask Boss's website to get me the Midnam & Middev files.
- Use some cherrypicker2.x (Mac only?) to extract or convert to Midnam file?

Why do you arm the recorder with midi wait & record the Sysex data? (The purpose, Idk what to do with it)

Any help, Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM

Default Re: GT-10 Guitar Pedal & Patches

When Digidesign (now Avid) implemented MIDI I think they really didn't know much about it and made a simple principle into something really complicated.
Midnam and Middev are XML files that contain data for specific MIDI instruments and their patches/presets. Now why couldn't that have been two lookup text files/tables? Then anyone could add or change things.
Another thing Digidesign didn't realise was that even in a staid box like the Roland JV-1080 with set presets there is a user bank, which can be anything you want. So, did Digidesign provide a utility to enter this info into their stupid files? No did they buggery. Cherrypicker was indepenantly written for Mac but nothing is available for PC.

Now I was heavily into MIDI with a LOT of my own preset names. Most of them went back to the days when I was running Logic Pro on a PC. Logic had a table that you filled in with your preset names and luckily for me had the ability to save them as a text file. Each preset on a seperate line.

So how to get them into Pro-tools on a PC? Thanks to Digidesign a lot of hard work and days of work.
First open up a middev file in notepad. If you are not used to XML which I wasn't it takes awhile to figure out. Then you realise that you can save it with another name, say GT10.middev. Then open it again and edit the stuff that pointed to the original instrument.
Then open up the midnam file, similar process but this is the really hard one to crack.
If there are banks of sounds you have to look up the manual to get the midi implementation stuff. In other words the controller numbers. Change the original name of a bank to your new name. But keeping the original XML structure.
The hardest part are the preset names. You can Delete the original name and type in your new one (A thing I learnt very early on keep the names simple - leave out special characters - some work some don't and tracking them down takes forever. Chars like *&^%$#@! )
Normally a bank contains 0-127 patches. Because I had my original Logic Pro names in a list, I created lists in notepad for all instruments since Logic pro (2001). Then I wrote a program using Simple Basic to read the lists and put the XML stuff around the names and incrementing numbers. and writing the output to a file. Then I copied and pasted that into my doctored GT10.midnam file.

So good luck you have a lot of work ahead if you decide to accept this mission.
This email will self destruct in 10 secs

whoosh
ASUS P5E Q6600 6GB

Eleven Rack + EXRP
Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Default Re: GT-10 Guitar Pedal & Patches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermak View Post
When Digidesign (now Avid) implemented MIDI I think they really didn't know much about it and made a simple principle into something really complicated.
Midnam and Middev are XML files that contain data for specific MIDI instruments and their patches/presets. Now why couldn't that have been two lookup text files/tables? Then anyone could add or change things.
Another thing Digidesign didn't realise was that even in a staid box like the Roland JV-1080 with set presets there is a user bank, which can be anything you want. So, did Digidesign provide a utility to enter this info into their stupid files? No did they buggery. Cherrypicker was indepenantly written for Mac but nothing is available for PC.

Now I was heavily into MIDI with a LOT of my own preset names. Most of them went back to the days when I was running Logic Pro on a PC. Logic had a table that you filled in with your preset names and luckily for me had the ability to save them as a text file. Each preset on a seperate line.

So how to get them into Pro-tools on a PC? Thanks to Digidesign a lot of hard work and days of work.
First open up a middev file in notepad. If you are not used to XML which I wasn't it takes awhile to figure out. Then you realise that you can save it with another name, say GT10.middev. Then open it again and edit the stuff that pointed to the original instrument.
Then open up the midnam file, similar process but this is the really hard one to crack.
If there are banks of sounds you have to look up the manual to get the midi implementation stuff. In other words the controller numbers. Change the original name of a bank to your new name. But keeping the original XML structure.
The hardest part are the preset names. You can Delete the original name and type in your new one (A thing I learnt very early on keep the names simple - leave out special characters - some work some don't and tracking them down takes forever. Chars like *&^%$#@! )
Normally a bank contains 0-127 patches. Because I had my original Logic Pro names in a list, I created lists in notepad for all instruments since Logic pro (2001). Then I wrote a program using Simple Basic to read the lists and put the XML stuff around the names and incrementing numbers. and writing the output to a file. Then I copied and pasted that into my doctored GT10.midnam file.

So good luck you have a lot of work ahead if you decide to accept this mission.
This email will self destruct in 10 secs

whoosh
Has this been put to ideascale for a change? If not, perhaps it should be (you know with PT10 in the wings). It would be nice if this sort of dilemma was fixed.

http://protools.ideascale.com/

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O