Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2017, 04:23 PM

Default S3L to PT11 issue

Hi. I've got my S3L out on tour with me. I have it connected to a Mac Mini on OSX 10.9.5, I think. I am recording to PT11.

I used Venue Link to open a session at rehearsal and recorded 32 tracks for 3 hours with no issue.

Then we loaded in at the Ryman in Nashville. You can't make noise there until 4 pm, so I worked on the mix in headphones playing back from PT, just as intended.

I created a new session from Venue and recorded the first show. When I showed back up at the Ryman for the second show and went to play it back, I found that it had recorded tracks 1-16 but not 17-32. This was pretty disappointing.

Once I discovered the issue, I record enabled all tracks and pressed record, still in the same session that hadn't recorded properly. While I didn't have a band on stage, I could hear room noise in all 32 tracks when played back. I had not changed any settings, but now it worked properly.

So I created another session, and started to record the second show. It did the same thing again, only recording some of the tracks.

The direct outs automatically route, there is one cable connecting the console to PT, all tracks are record enabled. What could be the issue?

Any ideas?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:46 AM

Default Re: S3L to PT11 issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Raboin View Post
Hi. I've got my S3L out on tour with me. I have it connected to a Mac Mini on OSX 10.9.5, I think. I am recording to PT11.

I used Venue Link to open a session at rehearsal and recorded 32 tracks for 3 hours with no issue.

Then we loaded in at the Ryman in Nashville. You can't make noise there until 4 pm, so I worked on the mix in headphones playing back from PT, just as intended.

I created a new session from Venue and recorded the first show. When I showed back up at the Ryman for the second show and went to play it back, I found that it had recorded tracks 1-16 but not 17-32. This was pretty disappointing.

Once I discovered the issue, I record enabled all tracks and pressed record, still in the same session that hadn't recorded properly. While I didn't have a band on stage, I could hear room noise in all 32 tracks when played back. I had not changed any settings, but now it worked properly.

So I created another session, and started to record the second show. It did the same thing again, only recording some of the tracks.

The direct outs automatically route, there is one cable connecting the console to PT, all tracks are record enabled. What could be the issue?

Any ideas?
Is that a USB cable between the 2? I just this morning read of someone that had a similar problem on a completely different console and DAW and they discovered that replacing the USB cable fixed their problem. I don’t know if that could be your problem just something to think about or try.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:58 AM

USB and firewire both have so much error-correction that it's hard to notice an intermittent cable until you are really pushing the limits. As a result computer cable manufacturers get away with murder.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAXX View Post
Is that a USB cable between the 2? I just this morning read of someone that had a similar problem on a completely different console and DAW and they discovered that replacing the USB cable fixed their problem. I don’t know if that could be your problem just something to think about or try.
S3L and PT are connected with cat5 (AVB network) so USB could not be the problem.

I've had a similar problem in the past, channels 33-64 where not arriving in PT.
I disabled and re-enabled the avb engine in the audio/midi setup which solved the problem.
I guess it has something to do with mac os not enabling all the avb streams without a proper reboot.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:17 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppi View Post
I've had a similar problem in the past, channels 33-64 where not arriving in PT.
I disabled and re-enabled the avb engine in the audio/midi setup which solved the problem.
I guess it has something to do with mac os not enabling all the avb streams without a proper reboot.
IMHO just reconnecting a cable should fix this as well.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:54 AM

What I figured out, and failed to mention in my first post, is that you need to open Pro Tools before you open another application that uses the AVB channels.

In this case, I'm using the same computer that has Pro Tools to run SpectraFoo (like Smaart).

I think it's just an order of operations thing. It has been fine for the last two shows and that's all I've changed.

I did look at the buffer size, and while it was at the highest setting, I changed it and then changed it back, which is recommended in an Avid guide somewhere. Maybe that fixed it. Either way, it's working properly now.