Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-06-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Feature request: Simple Automation Present check

If you can already do this, please enlighten me.

The mixer window could desperately use a checkbox on the channel strip to show if there actually is automation running on a particular track. In my workflow, I always set all my channels to "Auto Off" until I actually use automation. So when I have a track that is in anything but "Auto Off" I know there is something running there. Unfortunately that is my way of working and not everyone else's. It would be great to know that if I open a session someone else started there could be an easy way for me to see what channels actually have auto running without having to "Option-Click" the views of all the channels to see which ones have auto. Maybe you could just make the "Auto Read" box appear in a different color if it in fact is reading automation.

Also, in it would be great if you could give us a track zoom function that would show us a condensed version of each automation feature. In other words, "Expanded Track Display" on the Edit window could show us a very large track with different rows depicting the volume, mutes, pans, send a mutes, etc.... That way while you are working on automation that requires a lot of attention and fine tuning, you could quickly look at the expanded view to see if a volume ride is causing problems with a pan, without having to look at each function individually.

Thanks,

exit
Old 06-06-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Feature request: Simple Automation Present che

No there is not really an option like that.
Just another comment:
Turning the automation off on a track base is not so cool, especially when you give your session to someone else, because if there actually is automation data in there and you turn the automation back on, the fader (or what have you) will snap back to the automated values. If you don't notice it happening, that can get you into some nasty surprises, especially when you're in the middle of some overdubs or so.

Let me know what you think.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Just another comment:
Turning the automation off on a track base is not so cool, especially when you give your session to someone else, because if there actually is automation data in there and you turn the automation back on, the fader (or what have you) will snap back to the automated values. If you don't notice it happening, that can get you into some nasty surprises, especially when you're in the middle of some overdubs or so.

Let me know what you think.
Fortunately I'm organized enough for that to never happen. If the automation is off, there is none there, period. If the auto is on, there is automation present. I note in the mix window comments on the channel what kind of auto is contained. ie: volume auto Verse2, send a mute auto, etc...

I hear you what you're saying, and I realize this isn't the perfect world, but I know that when my stuff goes out, it's very clear what's goin on. I think NARAS had also come up with some PT session guidelines that included printing automated versions to tracks also. Realistically that's tough to do with how fast some of work and we never know when a session is leaving our little world and going to another studio. But I know my suggestions could be minor implementations that would be big time savers.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Avid

Digidesign Feature Request Form