Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-30-2020, 05:16 PM

Default consolidating tracks into a single file

Or better question .. how to "un-consolidate a track into it's original form before it was consolidated.

So I create a consolidated file out of many segments on a track, and then a couple days and several other edits later, realize I made a mistake.

Is there any way to revert back to the condition of a track with in it's editing and patched-up configuration before it was consolidated? If I "clear" the consolidated track there is nothing on the track. If I look in the clips window there are billions of clips with that track number, most of which were not included in the consolidation and a nightmare to try to reconfigure.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

Media Man
Old 05-30-2020, 05:34 PM

Default Re: consolidating tracks into a single file

Hi ! I think you can't undo that unless the consolidation was did recently so you can simply use the undo command te revert. Maybe checking the in sessions backup folder an older session with the unconsolidated track ?
Old 05-30-2020, 06:46 PM

That's what I thought.

It would be a nice feature to be able to "revert" any consolidated track or shorter file to it's original source regions. I can remember many instances I wish I could do that. Or somehow in the clips list, have an option to see what parts the whole was made of.

Thanks,

Media Man
Old 05-30-2020, 08:29 PM

Unless you need the audio as a single file to use outside of PT, why don’t you region group the audio on the timeline instead.

It will appear as a single block on the timeline and all the fades etc. will be hidden and active. You can still use clip gain etc.

Might be a better solution for you as you can ungroup the region at any point and redo an edit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Man View Post
... Is there any way to revert back to the condition of a track with in it's editing and patched-up configuration before it was consolidated? ...
Duplicate track to a new playlist, and then consolidate. To go back, just bring back previous playlist.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-31-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Duplicate track to a new playlist, and then consolidate. To go back, just bring back previous playlist.
^^^
Playlist *everything*! I playlist every step of the way when editing/pitching/timing/denoising - that way there's always a trail of breadcrumbs if you need to get back to a previous state.

Also, what about saved session backups prior to the consolidate? You can just import the pre-consolidated track.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 06-05-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
^^^
Playlist *everything*! I playlist every step of the way when editing/pitching/timing/denoising - that way there's always a trail of breadcrumbs if you need to get back to a previous state.

Also, what about saved session backups prior to the consolidate? You can just import the pre-consolidated track.
That's what I did. Just reloaded one of the auto backups.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Of course. Duh.

Sometimes the easiest solution is the last one to come to mind.

Media Man
Old 06-05-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Unless you need the audio as a single file to use outside of PT, why don’t you region group the audio on the timeline instead.

It will appear as a single block on the timeline and all the fades etc. will be hidden and active. You can still use clip gain etc.

Might be a better solution for you as you can ungroup the region at any point and redo an edit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, this needed to exported out of Pro Tools, but then I heard an edit mistake that needed fixing.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Do this routinely... 👍

Sparky