Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-05-2002, 07:49 PM

Default When recording MIDI to Audio the audio, the audio timing isn\'t the same as MIDI

I spent a few hours perfecting a MIDI bass line for my 1st track since getting my PT system up and running. when I recorded it to an audio track, the timing just wasn't like it was on the MIDI track. It was like somehow some of the notes got nuged a little. I tried recording it a few times but got the same results. I haven't changed any of the setting in PT yet. any help would be apritiated.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:52 PM

Default Re: When recording MIDI to Audio the audio, the audio timing isn\'t the same as MIDI

I almost forgot. I'm running PT 5.3.1` on WinXP. Pen 4-2.4 gig 1 gig of RAM.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:00 AM

Default Re: When recording MIDI to Audio the audio, the audio timing isn\'t the same as MIDI

Justin,
When you record the Midi track to an Audio track, go up under 'Operations', and check 'Low Latency Monitoring'.

But also remember, when you want to 'Bounce to Disc', if you have both Midi and Audio tracks recorded, be sure to UNcheck 'Low Latency Monitoring'.

~Roy
Old 11-06-2002, 07:25 AM

Hello Justin_M,
Unfortunately latency is fact of life in the digital realm.
You will need to adjust you hardware buffer to 512, 256, or lower if your system can handle it.
You can also adjust you DEA setting too. This will help keep the latency to a minimum. Fortunately for my system, the latency has been, for the most part, consitant track to track. It is just a millisecond or two. Basically inaudible. You can just trim a few mili's off the the beginnig of your audio tracks.
I usually use time correction by trimming each audio region exactly to the first sample. It can be a tedious job, but I am always get good results. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5
Old 11-07-2002, 04:34 PM

thanks guys, i will try using the low latency feature and using a lower buffer size, but should i always use the same buffer size or change it acording to what type of pattern or insterment i'm using? also my midi sync is all off. my click dosn't seem to keep time. it slows down.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:17 AM

If your system can cope, I reckon buffer size of 128 is best for midi-to-audio recording, almost irrespective of the instrument. However, this becomes a problem if you've loads of audio going on at the same time and hence you increase the buufer size for (audio) mixing. I'm not sure what else is playing as you're recording this bassline, but you could (should?) have it such that it's the only thing going on.

It sounds suspicious that your click track loses time. Your click track should be solid. Maybe the system is doing something else periodically (since it's only the occasional note that's slipping). Does the slip/'nudge' happen at the same time each time?

Si