Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 05-23-2018, 03:52 PM

Default What should I run my Eleven rack through?

I picked up an Eleven Rack to try one out again. After 2 weeks I have liked the sounds I am getting when I record into the ProTools that came with it. My issue is I have tried to run it straight through my PA (Admittedly it's a fairly cheap one) and also through a Line 6 Spider Valve amp and didn't like how it sounded. With the amp I tried it straight in the front, in the fx loop and also just in the fx return with varying results but not crazy about any. My question is for those who don't just run this through a computer (or front of house when playing live) what do you run your Eleven Rack through and get good results? Sorry, I know this has probably been asked before but any advice I'd appreciate. - Dann
Old 05-24-2018, 09:55 AM

Default What should I run my Eleven rack through?

Did you search for those past questions?

Its not just what to use but how you use it and for what use. What exact full range monitors are you trying? For what use? In what size room/location?

Suitable full range monitor(s) are likely best. but with cab emulation turned on and time spent playing with speaker break up settings. Full range monitors like the QSC K10 work well for many folks in smaller locations or as stage monitors.

There are lots of things to tweak. Those monitors may be pretty directional, like in a practice room/smaller venue bouncing one of two monitors off a wall might help capture the feeling of an open back cab.

Guitar amps/cabs similar to what you want to emulate can also work, usually with cab emulation turned off, and driven into the FX loop return, and some time spent gain staging and playing with relevant power amp controls if there are any.

Cab emulation is unfortunately a global setting which makes it less favorable to use a mix of guitar amp/cab and full range monitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2018, 03:08 PM

Default Re: What should I run my Eleven rack through?

I'm using an EV ZLX12P top (hpf at 80hz) with an EV ZXA1 sub, rig full output: sounding fantastic for guitar and bass.
Before that I used a Peavey Classic 60/60 tube poweramp thru a Peavey 4x12" cab loaded with Celestion G12-K85, rig no cab: sounded fantastic but limited to guitar only.
I tried front of a 1x12" SS combo, and thru fx return, rig no cab: sound meh.