Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Seeking Advice...Older Interfaces....

If your running tools it would be easier to let the USD handle the Smpte, especially if you're running machine control as well.
I would personally use the USD as the master and slave the Opcode to it via worldclock.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:51 PM

Wink Re: Seeking Advice...Older Interfaces....

I agree. However, the 64xtc only has wordclock and Superclock outputs, and blackburst video in. I have the MIDI support via the 64xtc w/ Session 4 expander on the Mac modem port. The USD is connected to the Mac on the printer port (333 Mhz Beige G3). I think Opcode's position was to have everything for MMC and MTC chasing a single, linear clock path.

I'm used to having SMPTE I/O via the 64xtc, so I'll have to figure out how to do this with the USD (recent addition to the rig). Any other comments are welcome. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:53 AM

Definitely do SMPTE from the USD.

If the opcode can't take word clock or superclock in, I think the best way to set this up is to pick up a blackburst generator on ebay and send a video reference signal from that to both the opcode and the USD. You should be able to find one for around $50, maybe less.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 PM

Cool Re: Seeking Advice...Older Interfaces....

I also have a VSD and SSD, although I thought the USD replaced both of those. Can either generate blackburst in the manner you describe (I'm not certain I have documentation on both)? If yes, could you suggest how to cable everything up and run it? I understand the basics of house sync.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:24 AM

No, the USD, VSD and SSD can not generate blackburst. Both the USD and VSD can sync to a blackburst signal, but you obviously will need a blackburst generator to do that. I'm not familiar with the SSD but I'm pretty sure from what it's name suggests that it only does SMPTE, and not video reference signals.

Even if you don't need SMPTE, the USD is a far superior device to the VSD because it automatically adjusts to the sample rate of your pro tools session, the VSD you have to flip a switch.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:27 AM

I have one very similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ESE-BLACK-BURST-...#ht_3692wt_997

Mine has rack ears and is branded centennial, but the physical box looks identical.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:09 PM

Talking Re: Seeking Advice...Older Interfaces....

Thanks for that. I read up on using the USD to send/receive SMPTE, plus how the USD can regenerate and freewheel the clock as necessary. I'll need to experiment with both MIDI and SMPTE to see what works the best. I bought the USD to be a stable Superclock source for (4) 888-24's, (2) 882-20's, and an ADAT bridge. I do not want to remove it from the loop. Since both the USD and 64xtc are piped into the Mac separately, and recognized by ProTools separately, it will be interesting to see how PT resolves MIDI, SMPTE, and slave clock.

At any rate, I can go to a blackburst generator if nothing else works.

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:31 PM

If all you use the opcode for is midi, you should not need a blackburst generator.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:48 PM

One thing that may have been missed here is that you will have to select the proper I/O interface in the hardware setup, having a 1622 or adat bridge plugged in with the system thinking it's an 882 will make things work very strangely to say the least...
Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the info. I figured out the configuration must be correct or the system gets very unhappy. I need to set up a test rig w/video feed so I can try MIDI TC lock and MMC for both MIDI sequencers and Pro Tools lock.