Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 08-06-2014, 04:14 AM

Default Nomad Factory repeatable crash (HDX only?)

Hi folks

Have done some thorough testing on this and have contacted Nomad Factory tech support with the below information. If anyone could test and confirm this behaviour, it might help getting this issue fixed quicker.

"Hello Nomad Factory tech support

Confirming once again that something is definitely buggy with your plugins. I spent hours testing the many parameters to give you as much information as possible. I love your plugins, but they are giving my system & workflow a lot of grief. My system is: PT11.1.3, HDX2, MacOSX 10.9.3 MacPro 5,1

Have a session where I can repeatably reproduce a ProTools crash by dragging a track to a different position. The testing I did to identify Nomad Factory as the culprit was to remove all plugins from the AAX plugin directory and then test the process. With just the default Avid plugins, there was no crash. If I added just the Nomad Factory bundle (Cosmos, Echoes & Magnetic II) the track drag would cause a crash every time.

To 100% confirm this issue is related to Nomad Factory I did these things:

1) With just the default Avid plugs, plus the Nomad Factory plugins loaded into PT, I removed the Nomad Factory plugins within the actual session. Once removed, there were no crashes. Instantiate 2 or more Nomad Factory plugins and I get a crash.

2) I added every other plugin back into the AAX folder, except the Nomad Factory bundle, and there was no crash if I dragged a track.

3) Interchanged the 3 Nomad Factory plugins within the session to prove that it is caused by any/all of the 3 plugins, Magnetic II, Echoes & Cosmos.

In addition to this I also removed all other plugins from the session and tried to assess if it was an interaction with a particular Avid plugin. It was inconsistent, but I struggled to cause the crash with only Nomad Factory plugins instantiated (all other plugins removed not just inactivated). As soon as I imported a few tracks of plugins back, from a previous session, I could cause the session to crash.

I also tried to create a new session and instantiate a lot of Nomad Factory plugins but couldn’t get the crash to occur. But, if I open any large / complex mix session, instantiate 2 or more NF plugins, I can reproduce the drag track crash. This is the frustrating part, as it is only possible to recreate the crash on complex mix sessions (I have tried multiple projects and can recreate the issue on most sessions) so it is at this stage, beyond my testing ability to identify what is the catalyst for the bug.

Also tried to repeat this bug on my Macbook Pro, running PT11.2 natively, and I could not repeat the issue, so it appears to be related to the HDX system, because I then tested it on the MacPro using just the Aggregate Output and I could not cause the crash."

Secondary but not thoroughly tested is that I frequently had a crash on session close, again with only default Avid & Nomad Factory plugins installed. I have also had problems with changing the Playback H/W Buffer size, again not as thoroughly tested but I'm quietly confident both these issues are related to Nomad Factory.

If anyone else can test or has had similar issues on HDX, chime in please.

Thanks

Forrester
Old 08-06-2014, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Nomad Factory repeatable crash (HDX only?)

Scrolling through presets with magma crashes pt11 on windows 7...consistently.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:43 AM

Can also confirm the NF plug-ins cause crash when HEAT is activated, reinforcing this is a HDX only bug.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:00 AM

Hi Forrester

I recently installed the BBE plugins, which I believe are distributed by Nomad Factory (and may even be coded by them).

It could well be that those are at fault here. I will try and run some tests as soon as I get a moment, but I suspect you're onto something.

I'm running 11.2 HDX. Have Nomad Factory responded?

Jules
Old 10-25-2014, 09:55 AM

I'm on a vanilla system and have the same problem as the OP. In my case, ECHOES was the culprit.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:58 AM

Nomad Factory on HDX has been very unstable here. It's to the point that have removed them from all sessions as real time plug-ins. If i want them, I bounce the track, and inactivate the track with the Nomad plug-in inserted.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-20-2016, 05:26 AM

2016 and this is still happening! I'm on Protools 12.5.2

I'm having frequent crashes and after weeks, I found that Nomad Factory plug ins were the problem!

Tried to get a newer version but it seems like the company is abandoned.

So right now, at system, bye bye Nomad Factory, its a shame, Echoes and Cosmos are amazing plug ins but I just can't anymore with all these crashes.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:42 AM

Let's hope they update them
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:33 PM

I've removed them all from the plug-in folder. I do like some of them, but it's not worth the added instability.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-22-2016, 07:21 AM

Search on dontcrack.com, they manage Nomad now
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128