Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-30-1999, 08:56 AM

Default Waves tech support is stumped!

O.K. Here's an appeal to anyone out there who might know what is going on here. Waves tech support is at a loss for an explanation on this. We recently bought the Waves Native Power Pack for our Audio Media III system (Pro Tools 4.3.1) that is running on a 9600/233 with an Avid system installed as well. The native Digidesign plugins in the Audiosuite menu work fine on this system. We installed Waves and find that when an audio region is processed with one of their plugins (Q10, Trueverb etc.) the region is rewritten in the edit window with the appropriate renaming of the file as is supposed to happen but there is no audible change in the audio, ie: it didn't actually process. We had someone in from Waves who actually confirmed this and noticed also that the meters were not showing any activity as they are supposed to do when processing audio. This was originally happening with Waves version 2.6. When the Waves guy who paid the house call gave up on that and loaded Waves version 2.5 it suddenly worked! I came in the next day and it was back to the same old problem. What's going on here? Is there some Avid file that is screwing this up? How many of you use a similar setup as this and have no trouble at all? Plenty, I'm sure. Please respond with an e-mail too if you're feeling generous!

Frank Egan
Sounds Easy Studios/Island Media
Old 09-30-1999, 09:10 AM
Avid

Default Re: Waves tech support is stumped!

Hi Frank Egan
Your problem might be in the Audio Suite plug-in you need to select "use in playlist"
for the processed file to play in the edit window. If "use in playlist " is not selected, then the processed file ends up in the region list.

Mj
Old 10-01-1999, 07:20 AM

Playlist is selected, as I mentioned in my post, somebody from Waves paid a house call and confirmed that there is a problem.

[This message has been edited by benderbro (edited 10-01-99).]
Old 10-06-1999, 12:26 AM

Update:

I can make the Waves version 2.5 Audiosuite plugins work by "massaging" the controls in preview mode. If I just move an eq gain or reverb time up or down a little, then that function suddenly kicks in and starts working. Sometimes I have to do it several times in one plugin ie: if I'm using several bands of an eq or if I need to adjust more than one parameter in Trueverb. This problem was, according to Waves, a known bug in earlier versions and now they have taken note that it appears to still be around in version 2.5/2.6. I'm waiting to see about 2.8 but Waves tech support already said that 2.8 wasn't designed as a bug fix for that. I'll keep posting any news as it happens.

------------------
"Capital punishment turns the state into a murderer. But imprisonment
turns the state into a gay dungeon-master." Emo Philips
Old 10-06-1999, 08:03 AM

I had the exact problem. Got into the habit of always clicking the "setup" bar twice before hitting "process". That forced Waves to do what it was supposed to.

I strongly recommend downloading the new 2.7 versions from www.waves.com All problems including "greying out" are fixed!
Old 10-06-1999, 07:15 PM

I had the exact same problem and reported it to Waves. I downgraded all the way to 2.3. Massaging also worked in the ways described, but using 2.3 eliminated the hassle. I haven't tried 2.7 yet.