Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-02-1999, 07:12 AM

Default Re: powermix R.I.P?

"What features do AMIII PT 4.3.2 have now
that they will not have with PT 5.0 LE?"

"Could you please explain the "lacking Features"?"

You know what, I've been asking digi that exact question, and have yet to receive an answer. We know it's missing timecode features. You tell US. What are the differences between PT5 and PTLE?

Mike
Old 10-02-1999, 08:32 AM

noisefloor,

The PT5LE I saw at AES does not have some of the advanced editing functions of PT5 - like non-consecutive region selection (a rather odd omission), or the keyboard shortcuts. And, as has already been pointed out, no TC timeline. I didn't check if there is a SMPTE setup window for pull-down or frame rate or session start, although since there is no TC timeline there is little use for them.

To answer Mj, PT5LE lacks the most fundamental aspect of audio post-production work (TC timeline) and therefore I view it as strictly an upgrade for music professionals. It is not being touted as an upgrade for post professionals using AMIII cards or Powerbook/Powermix combos so I am not considering it as such. However, as there is no indication of a PT5LE-post version or product direction in this regard, and since the post specific items that have been removed from LE are not due to technical considerations but marketing issues, it is only natural that the user base will exhibit frustration and confusion. And Digidesign's own marketing has touted the AMIII as a excellent complement to a PT-TDM system for us post users - the Star Wars articles notwithstanding.

As one of the stated goals of PT5 was cross-platform consistancy, and Powermix was, I believe, a Mac exclusive item, perhaps this was key to driving the decision to drop it. But perhaps in the future there may be a different Powermix that is cross-platform. We can always hope.
Old 10-02-1999, 03:35 PM

"Could you please explain the "lacking Features"?"

For us it is TIMECODE. We use multiple AMIII systems for editing and compile all the elements with two Protools d24 systems. Without timecode all our AMIII systems are useless. Of course we will keep using them with PT 4.3.2 but it does seem almost "un-ethical" to be clipping us for investing in multiple systems.

Kevan
Old 10-02-1999, 06:20 PM

from the General info section:
"PT LE will do 24-bit files. It will not run on the Power Book in the first release but look for some info on that front in not too distant future.
-Mike Rockwell"
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.3, PT2023.12.1, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.3, PT2033.12.1, BabyFacePro FS
Old 10-02-1999, 09:24 PM

Where did you hear this about the time code? I was a AES and saw PTLE, and one of my concerns was hiding the Multiple Timebase and Conductor Rulers. Time Code, Bar|Beats, Feet+Frames, Hours/Minutes/Seconds, Samples all seem to be there. I didn't look to see if there was a pull down menu for frame rates, so you got me a little worried.
Old 10-03-1999, 10:50 AM

Can the 001 with PT LE sync to time code with the Digi USD or SSD?

DigiTech2 worte:

Pro Tools LE sends and receives MTC and MMC. If you want the hardware to be resolved you'll have to use a third party interface such as a Digital Time Piece which provides continuos sync for S/PDIF devices.

Old 10-05-1999, 04:17 AM

How about Digidesign makes a USB version of the AM3 interface. A little box with stereo in and out in BOTH analog and digital, and a USB port which will allow iMac/PowerBook/iBook users to use PT 5 LE. (Free dongle-no disk required). USB is cross platform. The customers will still be commited to buying hardware made by digi, and we have a working solution.

Technically, you can't do much routing with only 2in/2out, so the latencies of the USB architecture will cause no problems. None for me anyway.
Old 10-06-1999, 01:28 PM

Will powermix users, that don't have an AM3 card have a resonable upgrade to 001 or Toolbox? Or will they be stuck at 4.31?
Old 10-06-1999, 07:06 PM

Will,

I asked a Digi rep at AES demoing PT5 for post about using PT5 with Digigram card or some other solution for Powerbooks. He noted that there is no support for Sound Manager (ie via Powermix), or third party hardware (ie the Digigram VXpocket that works via Sound Manager). Upon pressing him about these seeming limitations with PT5 software, he offered that Digi is looking at a PCCard solution that they are considering OEMing with a possible announcement sometime around NAB. It wasn't clear if this was a Digi designed (no pun intended) item or a third party item that Digi will put their name on.