Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 10-10-2015, 10:04 PM

Default Re: iZotope RX5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
Thanks for the review Noiseboy.

Ambience Match baking itself into all of the audio is a bit of oversight really. Hopefully isotope will get on top of that for their 5.1 release.

I have also found it INCREDIBLY frustrating as also a Logic user, that it will read CAF, but won't write back to it, making it unusable for round-tripping. WTF kind logic is that.

So the work around is working with either WAV or AIFF, but they are ageing technologies, with limits. Personally i like to work with the future in mind.

That said, I don't know if RX5 will write to CAF, but I am doubtful it will. Can anyone confirm??

Ambience Match baking itself into all of the audio is a choice, you can put the ambience on another track.

CAF is a container for storing and transporting digital audio data. Just as AC3, and Dolby E.
It "contains" WAV or AIFF.
Not created to be edited.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:36 PM

Hey folks, I just did the upgrade from RX4 ADV to 5 ADV...I live in this app every episode since we're often out in the wilds of LA. Had some truly nasty sh++t in this new episode...Hollywood BLVD is the worst but many other locales are awful as usual. Thought now would be as good a time as any esp with the slight discount to do the upgrade. Anywho one of my colleagues said that RX5 would let us have handles if we sent it to the App and Spectral Repair (for example)...but I found that to not be the case. Is this wrong info or am I missing something...I certainly didn't see any options like that in the app? Seems to be the same as RX4.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 10-11-2015, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Ambience Match baking itself into all of the audio is a choice, you can put the ambience on another track.
Yes that's right - it's just exactly the same as RX4 in that way. My point is that the AAX plugin is a missed opportunity to really improve our workflow. The quick method demonstrated in the Pro Tools Expert walkthrough (and the way that you're "supposed" to work with it) is unsatisfactory imo.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-11-2015, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
Hey folks, I just did the upgrade from RX4 ADV to 5 ADV...I live in this app every episode since we're often out in the wilds of LA. Had some truly nasty sh++t in this new episode...Hollywood BLVD is the worst but many other locales are awful as usual. Thought now would be as good a time as any esp with the slight discount to do the upgrade. Anywho one of my colleagues said that RX5 would let us have handles if we sent it to the App and Spectral Repair (for example)...but I found that to not be the case. Is this wrong info or am I missing something...I certainly didn't see any options like that in the app? Seems to be the same as RX4.
Hi William - it took me a while to figure it out too, but the crucial settings are at the top in the AAX container for the plugin. You need to select "create individual files" and "clip by clip" - that's the mode that in RX5 allows you to work with the clip handles.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-11-2015, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post

CAF is a container for storing and transporting digital audio data. Just as AC3, and Dolby E.
It "contains" WAV or AIFF.
Not created to be edited.
Yeah it is a container format, but not like that. That's a bit of a misconception

it doesn't just contain WAV or AIFF. they have un upper limit of about 4gb I believe. The CAF was created to circumvent those limitations, plus it can optionally include other types of data including AIF or WAV if it were prudent.

CAF is a new open source format created with the future in mind.

It could contain video or plugin information, etc.

There's information on the Apple Dev site about the format

Quote:
CAF files have several advantages over other standard audio file formats:

Unrestricted file size
Whereas AIFF, AIFF-C, and WAV files are limited in size to 4 gigabytes, which might represent as little as 15 minutes of audio, CAF files use 64-bit file offsets, eliminating practical limits. A standard CAF file can hold audio data with a playback duration of hundreds of years.

Safe and efficient recording
Applications writing AIFF and WAV files must either update the data header’s size field at the end of recording—which can result in an unusable file if recording is interrupted before the header is finalized—or they must update the size field after recording each packet of data, which is inefficient. With CAF files, in contrast, an application can append new audio data to the end of the file in a manner that allows it to determine the amount of data even if the size field in the header has not been finalized.

Support for many data formats
CAF files serve as wrappers for a wide variety of audio data formats. The flexibility of the CAF file structure and the many types of metadata that can be recorded enable CAF files to be used with practically any type of audio data. Furthermore, CAF files can store any number of audio channels.

Support for many types of auxiliary data
In addition to audio data, CAF files can store text annotations, markers, channel layouts, and many other types of information that can help in the interpretation, analysis, or editing of the audio.

Support for data dependencies
Certain metadata in CAF files is linked to the audio data by an edit count value. You can use this value to determine when metadata has a dependency on the audio data and, furthermore, when the audio data has changed since the metadata was written.
https://developer.apple.com/library/..._overview.html
Old 10-12-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Hi William - it took me a while to figure it out too, but the crucial settings are at the top in the AAX container for the plugin. You need to select "create individual files" and "clip by clip" - that's the mode that in RX5 allows you to work with the clip handles.
To complement your response:

https://www.izotope.com/support/kb/i...ools_11.3.1-12
Old 10-12-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
PT 11.3.1 and above, otherwise handles no go!!
Old 10-13-2015, 12:36 AM

OK I'm on 11.3.2 HD so I'll look for this option which I'm used to with the RX audio suite collection...which I use for most of the NR stuff. Sadly when trying to beat down Hollywood BLvd at night or even in the daytime with busses and heavy trucks passing by, I wasn't completely happy with all the results so some ADR will be in order.

THX for the RX app heads up on this...I use Spectral Repair for painting out birds, sirens, backup beeps, brake squeal all sorts of noise pollution that we used to just live with, so handles will help a bunch when sending to and back.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 10-19-2015, 02:04 PM

RX isn't a fix all for every problem. But it sure does some great things for a lot of difficult dialogue situations.

The Ambience Match as a standalone plug in seems like it still has some kinks to work out. I never "bake" it into the file, but treat is as its own fill track (output ambience only) and massage it in myself. All the parameters you can mess with in the AAX, I have much easier control of in the track (fade, clip gain, etc.)

The problem I have seen with it is sometimes the ambience it "learns" is WAY too low and definitely not the right noise profile. I can learn a piece of audio in the standalone, then send the exact same piece from RX Connect, learn it in the native Ambience Match and its way better. Figured they'd operate exactly the same, but RX Connect is treating it differently or seeing it differently somehow.

I've almost abandoned Dialogue Denoiser completely for the new Deconstruct in RX5. I need to delve into the difference between the two, because Deconstruct seems to do the things I WANT Dialogue Denoiser to do.

Speaking of... anyone have tips for removing that nasty high end static from LAV mics?
PT: 12.8 HD - no interface. headphones and ilok.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJArmstrong View Post
The problem I have seen with it is sometimes the ambience it "learns" is WAY too low and definitely not the right noise profile. I can learn a piece of audio in the standalone, then send the exact same piece from RX Connect, learn it in the native Ambience Match and its way better. Figured they'd operate exactly the same, but RX Connect is treating it differently or seeing it differently somehow.

I've almost abandoned Dialogue Denoiser completely for the new Deconstruct in RX5. I need to delve into the difference between the two, because Deconstruct seems to do the things I WANT Dialogue Denoiser to do.

Speaking of... anyone have tips for removing that nasty high end static from LAV mics?
Hi Brian,

1) They do operate in exactly the same manner, but you may be experiencing an issue with Pro Tools, which adds dither to fades than can cause issues, as our algorithm will now see the dither noise as ambience. Here's more information, and suggested workarounds https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...pair/rx/faq/#9

2) They are very different. Deconstruct will attenuate/boost all tonal, or all noisy elements in a signal. De-noise, which separates signal from noise based purely on amplitude, Deconstruct analyzes the harmonic structure of a signal independently of level. It does not matter if a tonal signal like hum is quiet or prominent in a signal. Deconstruct will always consider it tonal and adjust its gain accordingly. De-noise seeks to establish a noise profile, which may actually include both tonal and noisy information, and reduce that noise, leaving behind desirable signal, which likely also includes tonal and noisy information. If you process Dialogue De-noise in Auto mode and a reduction of 12 dB, full bandwidth across an audio file, and then compare the results of that, with the results of Deconstruct's Noisy slider set to -12 dB, the differences should become more clear. Deconstruct is useful for removing distortion artifacts, breathiness on wind instruments, metronomes or key clicks in certain musical recordings, and time variable wear (changing noise on a warped record), and a whole lot more.

3) Sometimes, a combination of Deconstruct, Dialogue De-noise and De-crackle, limited bandwidth on the high end, can help.