Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2016, 06:13 PM

Default Re: S6 v.2.3 feature wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
We do have guidelines in the API on how things should map but it would be very hard for us to enforce it.
Allowing users to customize plug-in layouts on knob modules would be a feature that I could really use. Chasing developers to change things in their mappings is simply not practical, sometimes even impossible.
I know that AAX plugin structure is organised in such a way that even a simple mapping list has to be signed by manufacturer, and therefore isn't changeable by users (some DUC members did find the list inside the plugin package, but could not change things permanently), but that limitation should be removed and opened to users.

A simple example (two, actually) Avid Channel Strip: when I hit the strip EQ button and Exp. button on S6, Channel Strip maps to the knob module above the fader. There are some non assigned knobs and buttons there and I would like to have a Phase Flip always available in the knob module. I would also like to have the Detection Selector available in the Dynamics, I'd like to have CEDAR DNS One knobs mapped horizontally, and so on...
Will this ever be possible?
Old 11-03-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
We do have guidelines in the API on how things should map but it would be very hard for us to enforce it.
Frankly I think many third part developers just aren't bothering.

For example, you can take a compressor plug-in and Expand it from the Dyn button and often parameters are missing. If you Expand the plug-in from the Insert button you might get a different set of parameters and again parameters will be missing. Both ways of Expanding the plug-in might have DIFFERENT parameters missing.

Custom plug-in mapping is a must have for me. I know it's on the "to do" list but in my opinion it should be right at the top of the list.

I know this isn't Avid's fault but we need a workaround for the half-assed attempts at mapping by many developers.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Avid

Custom plugin mapping is definitely something we want to do, we do have some ideas on how to do this to benefit all surfaces.
The EQ and DYN buttons on EUCON surfaces were designed so that no matter what the manufacture of plugin the layout would always be the same, so the bread and butter controls were always in the same place. The Inserts knob maps, the plugin manufactures are more free to do what they like.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Custom plugin mapping is definitely something we want to do, we do have some ideas on how to do this to benefit all surfaces.
The EQ and DYN buttons on EUCON surfaces were designed so that no matter what the manufacture of plugin the layout would always be the same, so the bread and butter controls were always in the same place. The Inserts knob maps, the plugin manufactures are more free to do what they like.
Eddie
I think part of the problem is that many third party plug-in compressors for example don't have an equivalent parameter in the default S6 plug in Dyn map so don't appear. Just a guess!

But then as I said, some parameters don't show up when the Insert is expanded either.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:42 AM
Avid

We definitely need to be more proactive in working with the third parties to evolve the page tables to increase the ease of use for customers when controlling plug-ins from the S6. Master Bypass and Phase are two very practical and essential functions that need to be accessible when a DYN or EQ is displayed in an Expand Zone for example.

Some of this work is on us - some on the thirds.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 11-05-2016, 06:23 PM

Creating customized layouts is what I'm actually looking for. I would like to choose a set of parameters and build my own layout for any plug-in out there, be it 3rd party or Avid. And I'd like to be able to customize the knob modules so that my channel strips display the controls I use most. For example (bottom to top): HP frequency, Lo-mid Freq, Lo mid Gain, Hf Gain.
If I need more parameters to work with, I can hit the "exp" button.
And I'm missing hitting the "select" button next to any send and flipping it instantly to fader, just like it was possible on Icons... Flipping the whole console to faders is nice, but not always so useful...
Also, when will you make the knob on Master Module assignable? So we can chose a send, for example, and map it there? And then hit the sel button and flip it? So we can work with a channel and send fader at the same time?
You really have a lot of work to do!
Old 11-05-2016, 08:55 PM

Well said. I am past the point of holding back my opinions so please indulge or stop reading now.

I just spent a day mixing, as I often do, and although I enjoy many features of S6 there are some fundamental omissions that should be fixed! I do not fathom that they were not part of the original concept so why are they omitted?

Lack of knob assignability and narrowly, dare I say poorly, implemented flip mode are huge frustrations. Who would believe parameter assignability should best be placed behind a security wall with no user access? Plugin manufacturers didn't want the responsibility and I guarantee it is not what users want. Inferring that the plugin manufacturers are somehow at fault is pathetic.

I don't know if Avid is limited by Eucon or by imagination but honestly the distinction is irrelevant. Branko has discovered what every one of us has encountered when mixing on S6. When I purchased this thing Flip mode was but a mere promise. I think we all believed it would be at least as good as Pro Control's implementation. Not so yet. Knob modules work nicely but faders give a type of control that knobs cannot achieve. You know that. I don't want Avid's "one way, our way" choices. I want to define a console that works best for me on each job. The capability is there, I believe. Avid's skill is there without a doubt. All that is required is Avid's will.

Richard Fairbanks
a.k.a. grumpy old man
Old 11-05-2016, 09:08 PM

Reading this back, I must apologize for my blatant negativity. S6 has changed the way I mix in many ways. I wish, I hope, that eventually those ways can all be improvements.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post

Lack of knob assignability and narrowly, dare I say poorly, implemented flip mode are huge frustrations. .
I highly agree. Flip needs to be flushed out and plug in page tables really need to be user definable.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-06-2016, 01:33 AM

Quote:
The EQ and DYN buttons on EUCON surfaces were designed so that no matter what the manufacture of plugin the layout would always be the same
I was trying to understand what is the point of the feature (it looks like a bug to me!) described above. EQ and DYN plugins differ in so many ways, there's no point in trying to make them look uniform.
Most of us have some preferred plugins and use them in every project, so there will rarely be a situation where we could benefit from this uniformity. It could be even described as counterproductive, because you'll need an additional effort to distinguish which EQ you're controlling with your knob module at any given moment, if you use several brands of plugins for the same task. So, unlock the user layout mapping, you'll have one less thing to deal with, and we'll get a powerful, creative tool that will largely improve our workflows.