Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-16-2013, 09:50 PM

Default Triggering external sound module via MIDI track

Hi, I am trying to trigger my external synth module (Roland U220) with the data recorded in a MIDI track using PT10.

Using an Axiom 25 and Mbox 3, I've managed to set up the Axiom keyboard and record MIDI, via USB.
It is also controlling the U220 (via MIDI in / out on the Axiom 25) and I am able to use it to trigger the synth and hear sound on my Aux track.
I am also able to insert a virtual instrument (Vacuum) on the Aux track and trigger it with the data that is recorded on the MIDI track.

The only thing I can't do is get the recorded MIDI data to trigger the external sound module (but like I mentioned I can trigger the module using the Axiom controller).

I've got both the Axiom 25 and the U220 installed in the MIDI Studio with Axiom 25 directlink selected for in/out.
Input to the MIDI track is "All," output is the U220 on channel 1.
Input on the AUX track is interface>input, the only option that isn't a bus.
"MIDI through" is selected.

Any ideas to help me get this wrapped up?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Triggering external sound module via MIDI track

I finally have the MIDI track triggering the external unit, I had to set the control to USB in the Axiom, so that the MIDI out from the controller would originate from Pro Tools.

The weird thing thing is that in order to audition it I have had to create a second Aux track (??)

If I instance only the first Aux track, there is signal but no sound from the Mbox, unless I am changing I/O in which case a snippet of sound was entering while I was clicking buttons.

I tried setting the output to a new track and it is working now.

Is this the only way, or am I missing something?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 AM

I recommend watching some youtube tutorials, especially related to using Instrument tracks(which combine features on a MIDI track, AND an AUX track). You will always need an audio path from the module, into your session(remember, MIDI is nothing but info, no sound).. Don't feel too frustrated! MIDI can be a bit of a PITA, and you already got over the biggest hurdle or getting MIDI out to the module. Once you feel more confident, you may want to bus your audio(from the module) to an AUDIO track and record it(aka "print"). That way, if you revisit at some later date, but don't have that sound module anymore, you still have the sound in place

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I recommend watching some youtube tutorials, especially related to using Instrument tracks(which combine features on a MIDI track, AND an AUX track). You will always need an audio path from the module, into your session(remember, MIDI is nothing but info, no sound).. Don't feel too frustrated! MIDI can be a bit of a PITA, and you already got over the biggest hurdle or getting MIDI out to the module. Once you feel more confident, you may want to bus your audio(from the module) to an AUDIO track and record it(aka "print"). That way, if you revisit at some later date, but don't have that sound module anymore, you still have the sound in place
Yes, instrument tracks are no problem, I broke it down to try and troubleshoot my issues.

As to printing the tracks, I think I will be doing just this as I go along.

There are only a few specific things I am trying to do with this piece of hardware and then I can just chuck it in a lake.