Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-11-2008, 12:58 PM

Default What are the differences between a process card and an accel card?

Hi I want to know what are the differences between both cards and why the process card is out of business today.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:26 PM

Default Re: What are the differences between a process card and an accel card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboxpro View Post
Hi I want to know what are the differences between both cards and why the process card is out of business today.

The quick answer...

Accel has some more powerful chips and enables more plugins! almost 2x as many plugs as the process card. depends somewhat on which plugs, most have been maxxed for accel. also some plugins will only run on accel cards.

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:46 PM

I heard swapping an Accel card for a regular Process card in an HD3 system gives only about a 15% increase in total system processing power. I have a Core, 1 Accel and 1 Process card. I thought about swapping out my 2nd process card but never had, because the benefit to the system doesn't seem worth it.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 10-12-2008, 01:53 AM

So why digidesign manufactured the process card instead of the accel card since the begining of the hd, the protools 6.1 runs with process cards and the 6.4 with accels cards, there is not so much time from 6.1 to 6.4 so why not manufactured the accel cards at the begining????
Old 10-12-2008, 04:36 AM

Availability of the more powerful chip (and the cheaper cost). That and the fact that HD has been around since OS9 and PT5.3.1.

As to the original question, I don't think it's worth the money. I did the same upgrade for a client to 2xAccel cards and he couldn't tell the difference. Unless you have money to burn stick with 1 of each. I have a non-Accel HD3 system and am very happy with it.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derF View Post
[…] I don't think it's worth the money. I did the same upgrade for a client to 2xAccel cards and he couldn't tell the difference.
It depends on the nature of your work. If you track large sessions at high sampling rates, or if mixing is your bread and butter, then Accel cards are a must — and more than just a pair, I might add. I constantly ran out of DSP with an HD4 system (3+1). Adding a fourth Accel card made a big difference. And no, I don’t have money to burn — I leave that to investment bankers.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 10-12-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Knecht View Post
And no, I don’t have money to burn — I leave that to investment bankers.

IHTH.
But... the investment bankers will soon be burning our (tax) money too

Adding an Accel card to my HD2 made a world of difference. SB
Old 10-15-2008, 05:44 AM

I have an HD 7 Accel PCI (1 HD Core + 6 HD Accel) in a 64 bit 7 slot PCI expansion chassis, from time to time it gets maxed out (96 audio tracks, 44,1 kHz, 3 to 4 TDM plug-in's on each track)

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins